[engine] Movement bug work-around proposition

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
sidzej

[engine] Movement bug work-around proposition

Post by sidzej »

I don't know if it's correct place for tihs post, if not please just move it to more apropriate place.

Movement bug is really anoying bug that makes units loose their movements points when a disconection accours. It usually ends in need to reload the game from the autosave and what is worst if it had place during turn after atacks players need to redo their moves witch in case of atacks affect in diffrent results. In overall it very mess up an multiplayer game.

Since this bug is from quite a long time (from when the 1.8 version appeared propably) it's propably to complicated to fix it easilly and needs lots of work do to it so I understand the developers crew is concentrated on stuff that is guaranteed that the work add to project will not end in having no results at the end and is waiting till someone will have enough will and time to fix it, so I want to propose a work-around that will not solve the problem, but will make the results of the move bug problem being totally ignored and have no affect.

My proposition is: adding an "reload with full mp points" option in the reloading game from save games window while hosting game.

This will couse all units of the current side having full mp (so if the bug occured after some moves units that already moved also will have full mp), but players can have a chance to agree to not move those already moved units and just continue their turns without needing to doing same things with difrent results).

This problem is really serious, it happens really often and always when it happens it creates problems to the game, don't know is this proposition doable, but something really had to be done with that move bug and I think this silly work-around will solve all problems that the bug creates.

The only problem may be that it may allow to reloading single player games repeatably so one could move multiple times same units by just "refulling" their mp each reload, but I think if someone want to cheat in single player that nothing will prevent him/her from that anyway. (And that's possible only if the mechanisms of multiplayer hostings are the same as the single player ones).

PS. I don't know the code, don't know the project, so totally don't know if this proposition is not a total noobish post, but my brain invented it so wanted to share it with you, mayby it will help to do something good.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Movement bug work-around proposition

Post by thespaceinvader »

If you've found a bug, check the bug tracker at http://bugs.wesnoth.org to see whether it's already reported. If not, report it.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
joshudson

Re: Movement bug work-around proposition

Post by joshudson »

I reported it there some time ago.

Seems to have disappeared!
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE