[engine] Dual-Screen support

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Aisikle

[engine] Dual-Screen support

Post by Aisikle »

Hello, everyone!

I play Wesnoth on a computer with Dual-Screens. At this point, for a fully functional game, I have to either disable my second screen, or be extra careful not to move my mouse over to the next screen, when scrolling over the map. Fortunately, I have gotten used to using the arrow keys for the task and do not have to disable my other monitor.

I think it would be good if Wesnoth had support for Dual-Screens. Perhaps one side of the screen could be the map view and the other could have the info on units. Or perhaps the map display could go over both screens in such a manner that it wouldn't interfere with gameplay.

I would really appreciate it if the Dev. team could complete my Wesnoth experience and add this feature.

Thanks, WolfyX.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Dual-Screen support

Post by ancestral »

You might consider making a feature request for this, though I wonder if Wesnoth may be limited by SDL on this feature.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Aisikle

Re: [engine] Dual-Screen support

Post by Aisikle »

Thanks for the reply. I don't see why there would be an issue. Even if you had to download another type of client that you run simultaneously (one for each screen).

What exactly is a feature request? How would I make one?

Thanks again, WolfyX.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

As a solution to your woes, try running Wesnoth in windowed mode, and expanding the window to maximum size. It's not quite the same as full-screen, but it does alleviate the problem you mentioned.
Aisikle

Post by Aisikle »

After changing some of the display options, I can run Wesnoth in full screen and have map scrolling functional.

The major difference is running it in full screen from the display options instead of maximising the window, which I thought would have the same effect. However, This means the task bar is unusable without minimising.

Even though my main issue has been resolved, I would still really like dual-screen support. While I doubt this would assist the majority of players, it would certainly make people like me that much happier.

Thanks for the replies, WolfyX.