[mainline] rename "poison" to "poison +8"

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
fog_of_gold

[mainline] rename "poison" to "poison +8"

Post by fog_of_gold »

I suggest to name the poison ability "poison +8" instead of just "poison". We know this from healing: we have 'heals +4' and 'heals +8'. It may be true that there's only one poison but two healings and that this feature is just made to be able to differentiate these, but there are many other uses for this. For example, newbies and players who don't really often play this game directly see how strong poison is without needing to read the description. It'll also make more sure how much heals +4 will slow and finally it's just making the game more unity.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: [mainline] rename "poison" to "poison +8"

Post by Gambit »

The thing is that heals is an ability that takes a variable value for how effective it is. Poison is a weapon special that inflicts a status. That status is nonvariable AFAIK.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

I'm not sure what you mean by that: What does it have to do with adding a "+8" to the name?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

There's no need, because you can't get poison that does any other amount of damage than 8. The value is hard coded, not controlled by WML.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

thespaceinvader wrote:There's no need, because you can't get poison that does any other amount of damage than 8. The value is hard coded, not controlled by WML.
Not quite true. :mrgreen:
At least via
wesnoth.game_config.poison_amount
it is modifieable (that's lua however).

Renaming it made sense from the programmer point of view if the poison special got un-hardcoded so that the core poison special had a specifical poison_amount...
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

But that changes it gamewide, so again you have a constant.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yeah, before anything like this happens, we would need poison to work like heals (i.e. uncoupled from a constant value).

As an option, I'd would suggest giving a cured_with or cured_threshold key which makes it so a unit is poisoned with a poison that has cured_with=X, then that unit gets cured if it gets healed by X points at once (replacing the points heals by the cure).
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

This isn't really important, but wouldn't it be "poison -8"?
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

If one was going to streamline the UI slightly, why not just hyphenate the number - heal-4, heal-8, poison-8, possibly even leadership-1, leadership-2 and so forth?

Zarel

Post by Zarel »

I think I understand what he's saying. Even though there's only one poison, adding "-8" to it helps newbies learn and remember that that's how much damage poison does per turn.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

It's true you can play this game without this feature, but it's a that easy change it isn't really costing time and in my opinion, it's saving a lot of more time than it costs to imply that.
Simons Mith wrote:If one was going to streamline the UI slightly, why not just hyphenate the number - heal-4, heal-8, poison-8, possibly even leadership-1, leadership-2 and so forth?
I think it's clearer with heals +4, heals +8.
leadership-1 doesn't make something clear and it would be more confusing than helpful.

And if it's still not clear, I'm not suggesting to get able to change the damage poison does, I just suggest to change the in-game name.

@Captain_Wrathbow:
I'm not sure. It's true that you are damaging the enemy but you can easyly misunderstand it with "poison-8" as if it's the 8th poison ability. This would even be more confusing.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

What about simply heals (4), heals (8), and poison (8)?
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Again, IMO heals +x is fine and clearer. For poison(8), I think, this would be another possibility to poison +8 but it gets more unity if you choose poison +8.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Well, personally the + is confusing. You're talking about a status that will subtract from your total hp, rather than add to it. That's why I feel something more neutral like heals (8) or poison (8) is better.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

fog_of_gold wrote:Again, IMO heals +x is fine and clearer. For poison(8), I think, this would be another possibility to poison +8 but it gets more unity if you choose poison +8.
Okay let me make this clear for you because you're either being obtuse, either intentionally or not. Poison for all intents and purposes IS invariable. Its consistent in all games in mainline. There is a way to change it but that won't ever be used for the sake of consistency. How would you signify a unit taking 4, versus 8 damage in a game? You can't.

Since thats resolved, this thread serves no purpose. Thus Locked

(and If you don't want to be lectured like this, then maybe you should have listened to the two moderators the first time around)
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.