Overexperience: like Disciples and Warsong?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

Do you support this idea

I want both overexperience and revival
4%
I want only revival, without overexperience
No votes
Gaining levels without transform is good, but revive option is wrong
25%
BOth ideas s..ck
71%

Total votes: 24

muxec

Overexperience: like Disciples and Warsong?

Post by muxec »

This game is a little like Disciples, the same system of XP advancement lines... But in disciples it was more important to XPup. You could revive your fallen high XP units. It would be cool to enable revival of high XP units maybe for high cost. Here only one of lots of 1 lvl reaches 2 lvl (as average lvl1 unit need to defeat 4 equals to advance) And those 2nd levelers are so fragile:( Due to this even on easy difficulty campaighns are extremely hard.

Another idea is allowing top level units to gain more levels without changing their type. The unit remeains the same and only gains +2% resistance, +1 damage values and +7% health. For example after gaining let's suppose 350XP lord would have
73HP
resistances: 2% more than lord on lvl 3
Sword: 13-4
Bow: 10-3
After another 350XP it would be:
78HP, +4% resist, Sword 14-4, Bow:11-3

Example N2 Blood Bat at level 5 (ordinary is 1):
HP=26*1.07^4=34 , Fangs:10-3

It simply sucks when you have your hero top leveled at 3rd mission of long campaighn.

If the code only was commented a little better i'd mod it:)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

BOTH ideas have been discussed... a lot...

Revival: NO NO NO.

OverXP: Much discussed, never implemented, probably won't be.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Well i have liked the idea of overxp for a very long time and i like it also today...

I think if someone keeps alive his units till max level the unit should win a bonus if he reaches another level (without upgrating).

This would be a good improvement for MP ... Like shroud and so one...just a new feature :D
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
muxec

Post by muxec »

Reviving (for high cost) worked great in Disciples:Dark Prophecy. Why not allow costly revive in Wesnoth?
Elvish_Pillager

muxec wrote:Reviving (for high cost) worked great in Disciples:Dark Prophecy. Why not allow costly revive in Wesnoth?
Becuase Wesnoth is not 'Disciples:Dark Prophecy'.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
muxec

Post by muxec »

Taking the best from differnt sources and adding something own is indeed good.

High revival cost would make you use your units carefully, but losing a 3rd lvl unit due to random disluck would not be a tragedy.

If already discussed - give links.

Overexperience issue is not critical, in fact with a little work it can be fixed by editing cfg-files. Simply in-code aproach is better as mean of universalization.
Last edited by muxec on September 21st, 2004, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

muxec wrote:Reviving (for high cost) worked great in Disciples:Dark Prophecy. Why not allow costly revive in Wesnoth?

The general concensus amongst the devs (I am not one, but I agree) is that in Wesnoth, dead is dead, unless you are undead, in which case destroyed is destroyed. Units being killed is part of the game. Obsessive Compulsive types who like to go through the game without losing any units (which I have tendencies towards myself) will just have to deal with the fact that if they risk a unit that they love, in combat, it might be gone for good. As such, it is considered a good idea in campaign mode to keep a constant flow of low level units that can benefit from the XP, level up, or be thunderstick fodder. People who can not deal with this, always have the option of save/reloading, editing there save files, etc, but where is the fun in that?
muxec

Post by muxec »

Darth Fool wrote:

The general concensus amongst the devs (I am not one, but I agree) is that in Wesnoth, dead is dead, unless you are undead, in which case destroyed is destroyed. Units being killed is part of the game. Obsessive Compulsive types who like to go through the game without losing any units (which I have tendencies towards myself) will just have to deal with the fact that if they risk a unit that they love, in combat, it might be gone for good. As such, it is considered a good idea in campaign mode to keep a constant flow of low level units that can benefit from the XP, level up, or be thunderstick fodder. People who can not deal with this, always have the option of save/reloading, editing there save files, etc, but where is the fun in that?
Let's suppose that we have a unit with 10-4 attack that attacks somebody on hills (50%). The distribution is binary, Newton's formula works here. There is a 6.25% probablity to make 0 or 40 damage
There is 25% to make 10 or 30.
Only the remaining 37.5% are for mean value of 20.

There must be a way to resist randomness. Remaking combat system (making it deterministic for example) is way too hard and curent system is almost OK. Reviving is the right way.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

muxec wrote:
Darth Fool wrote:
Let's suppose that we have a unit with 10-4 attack that attacks somebody on hills (50%). The distribution is binary, Newton's formula works here. There is a 6.25% probablity to make 0 or 40 damage
There is 25% to make 10 or 30.
Only the remaining 37.5% are for mean value of 20.

There must be a way to resist randomness. Remaking combat system (making it deterministic for example) is way too hard and curent system is almost OK. Reviving is the right way.
Part of the game is the fact that you can lose Level 2 and 3 units, but it's not something that's going to totally cripple you. Yeah, it sucks to lose a high-level unit, but it's an integral part of the game.

Randomness is part of the game as well. It requires more strategy to adapt when something goes terribly awry than it does to have a determined mode.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
muxec

Post by muxec »

Even in campaign (for multiplayer it's also right) leveled units are very rare. One may mean the difference between defeat and easy victory...
silene

Post by silene »

muxec wrote:Even in campaign leveled units are very rare.
I suggest you play a bit more before trying to state such a blatantly wrong assertion.
muxec

Post by muxec »

silene wrote:
muxec wrote:Even in campaign leveled units are very rare.
I suggest you play a bit more before trying to state such a blatantly wrong assertion.
I suggest that you post a replay of where they are not rare
Circon

Post by Circon »

How about: NOT HAPPENING.

Certain issues have been beaten to death. You're a newbie. We are the Almighty Developers. We're not adding strange percentage increases, and we are DEFINITELY not adding ressurection, or removing randomness.

Under discussion is 1hp/100xp gained beyond max level.

If you think the game is too hard and high level units are rare... Go play some more. I have a savefile where, if I select "Recall", there is a screenful of 3rd level units and several 2nd level, and I'm about halfway through the campaign.

Or as Neoriceisgood says: "Rar".

You need to play more and post less.
Elvish_Pillager

muxec wrote:I suggest that you post a replay of where they are not rare
Never mind a replay, here's a savefile; I'm not very good at levelling units in comparison with a lot of people, and check out this recall list.
Fortify

Post by Fortify »

muxec wrote:There must be a way to resist randomness. Remaking combat system (making it deterministic for example) is way too hard and curent system is almost OK. Reviving is the right way.
I voted against revival before I read the above comment.

You are saying that if we have *expensive* revival this would help people resist the temptation to save/load? If people know that they can get back that special unit that they invested time and energy into, their level of frustration with Wesnoth would be less.

I am skeptical but I see some validity to this.

Maybe this would work with the following system. Perhaps the revival cost would be the unit cost
Example
Elvish Ranger Cost = Revival Cost= 40
Recall Cost = 20
So you would pay 60 for an Elvish Ranger
This would get the unit back into your Recall list then you still have to pay the 20 to bring them back. Is this the right cost? Would this work for a unit close to leveling?
Example Elvish Archer close to leveling
Cost 18+Recall 20=38? Hmm too cheap for a unit that is about to advance, which is better than a 0xp Ranger. Add 1 gold per 2 xp as well making that Archer 18+20+20.
I think I like that, call it the age factor. Eventually old L3 units with piles of xp become too expensive to revive. Thus more incentive to only use L3s as little as possible. I know this goes against the previous thinking but merits thought.

My first thought was that this was to be done from the castle/keep as with recruit/recall but it could be done from a specific map location like a temple/oracle/shrine/tomb/morgue :) etc. Scenario designers could choose to put these locations on their maps or not....

I realise this has been much discussed and I only added to the issue with some thought of a way to make it work better and I am not just looking for a way massage my ego.
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.