A good dwarvish campaign

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
chak_abhi

A good dwarvish campaign

Post by chak_abhi »

I'm a relatively new user,having used Wesnoth for a little more than 4 months.I like the dwarfs very much.But I feel that there is no suitable campaign at present which involves the struggle for existence among dwarfs,where they would have to battle through hordes of orcs and trolls.The elves will initially be enemies,but later they would become allies.There should be a helpful role of the humans as well(with whom the dwarfs may fight jointly against common foes).Other creatures may find their place as well.The present dwarvish campaigns like "The Scepture of fire" or "The Hammer of Thursagan" do not fully satisfy me.It would be better if the legendary Elvish Lord Kalenz is involved as well.
Another point is dwarfs and orcs have no healers.I would like to see healers among them to make the campaign more interesting.An idea would be:
Level 1 Dwarvish alchemist
HP: 33, required XP:35
Heals +4
Axe-4x2 (melee-blade)
Entangle-4x2(ranged-impact-slows)

Orcish soothsayer
HP:28, required XP:30
Heals +4
Knife-4x2 (melee-blade)

Level 2 Dwarvish potioneer
HP: 45, required XP:80
Cures,heals +8
Axe-5x3 (blade)
Entangle-6x3(impact,slows)

Orcish healer
HP: 42, required XP:55
Cures,heals +8
Sword-6x2 (blade)
Torch-4x3 (ranged-fire)

Level 3 Dwarvish sorcerer
HP:70, required XP:150
Cures,heals +8
Axe-8x4(melee-blade)
Entangle-10x3(ranged-impact,slows)
Magic flame-8x3(ranged-arcane)

Orcish shaman
HP: 60, required XP:120
Cures,heals +8
Sword-8x3(blade)
Torch-6x4(fire)
Last edited by chak_abhi on August 11th, 2010, 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Speedbrain

Re: A good dwarvish campaign

Post by Speedbrain »

I know this forum is called "Ideas", but this sort of thing belongs more in the Scenario & Campaign Development forum.

"Ideas" is more about suggestions to improve the gameplay of mainline Wesnoth, rather than suggestions for new scenarios or campaigns. :eng:
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

While the mainline multiplayer factions are considered to be balanced, campaigns often feature special units (leaders or loyals) that play this kind of part. IIRC in THoT, which is one of the mainline dwarvish campaigns, one of your loyals does heal.
For multiplayer, the common response to the lack of healers for orcs and dwarves is that dwarves can be healthy, and orcs have regenerating trolls.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I guess it -could- be interesting. Good luck creating it :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

You can try the one from my signature. :P The points with elves being allies, Kalenz involved and healers are covered however. The fact that both mainline dwarf campaigns include elves as enemies bugged me somehow.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Anonymissimus wrote:[...] The fact that both mainline dwarf campaigns include elves as enemies bugged me somehow.
I think that like it most things high fantasy this tendancy (ie elves hating dwarves and vice versa) comes from Tolkien.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

sur.nhm wrote: I think that like it most things high fantasy this tendancy (ie elves hating dwarves and vice versa) comes from Tolkien.
But isn't it actually the opposite ? Think of Gimli and Legolas; and the dwarvish door at the western side of Moria, which is opened by a word in elvish language. So there is definitely also friendship between elves and dwarves in Tolkien's universe.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

There is but also much animosity. Both the elves and the dwarves blame the other for what happened in Kahzadun (Moria). That and other incidents have led to a general distrust between the races (note what happens in the Hobbit and the reactions in Lothlorien). Legolas and Gimli are somewhat exceptional.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I've only seen the movie, but in the beginning, Gimli is sort of racist towards Legolas. It's only during the quest that they become friends.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Hulavuta wrote:I've only seen the movie, but in the beginning, Gimli is sort of racist towards Legolas. It's only during the quest that they become friends.
It's about the same in the book. Velensk summed it up pretty good, I think.
PS: it's Khazad-dum, not Khazadun.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
johndh

Post by johndh »

Kinda ironic since Dwarves and Elves (or Dwarfs and Elfs) are interchangeable in a lot of pre-Tolkien works. :hmm:

Anyway, getting back to the original idea...
chak_abhi wrote:I'm a relatively new user,having used Wesnoth for a little more than 4 months.I like the dwarfs very much.But I feel that there is no suitable campaign at present which involves the struggle for existence among dwarfs <snip />
Sure, go for it. :P
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.