In-Game Patcher

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
FirBolg

In-Game Patcher

Post by FirBolg »

Wesnoth needs some kind of an ingame patcher, or other patch program packaged with the game.

So yeah, I was installing 1.8.3 today when I thought:

"Hmm, I shouldn't have to uninstall the game to update, or have to have 2 installs!"

I mean really, it's a pain having to uninstall and re-install the game. It would be considerably easier (for the users) to include some sort of patcher included with the game. It could run when connecting to the official server like some games (Battle.net anyone?) to make sure you have the most up-to-date version and then ask you if you want to install the new version. If yes, Wesnoth will close and the new version will be patched in.

Another method would be a seperate program. It would just be a simple little tool that you could run that would automatically patch you up to the most recent version when run. Alternative to that it could be a button you press ingame, like something in the options, addons, or multiplayer tabs.

Sorry if this has been said before, but I think it's something that could be thrown in. I'd make one my self, but the closest thing to programing I know is a High School HTML coarse....
Zarel

Re: In-Game Patcher

Post by Zarel »

You don't have to uninstall to upgrade. Wesnoth, like all modern programs, can be upgraded by running the installer for the new version without uninstalling the old version.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
FirBolg

Post by FirBolg »

Zarel wrote:You don't have to uninstall to upgrade. Wesnoth, like all modern programs, can be upgraded by running the installer for the new version without uninstalling the old version.
Derp my bad, but my point still remains the same.
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

I may be mistaken, but my understanding is that, though a patch may be easy enough to make for Windows, it is much more difficult on the other operating systems (at least Mac).
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

Who cares? What's so hard about coming to the website and clicking on a link? how is that harder than getting a message asking "Do you want to upgrade to the version 1.X.X of The Battle for Wesnoth?". I almost always miss the new releases, since I have bookmarked directly to the forums, but if you are an active player, (active enough to want to download every stable release), you should visit the web page at least once a week, that way you won't loose any of them.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

Well, at the current rate, there's a new release around the start of each month. But I think the main point is because of saved games, userdata, preferences, and maybe the player switched some sprites around or something. So maybe not for releases from the same branch, but releases from later ones. Like 1.8-1.9 although that would make it harder to, IIRC
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Gaaren

Post by Gaaren »

Yeah I posted a topic about that in the user's forum. For people like me with slow internet it'd be really useful.