Friendly units walking over each other?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
TheSilentOne

Friendly units walking over each other?

Post by TheSilentOne »

Hi,
I have noticed that you can walk over friendly units in order to get to a new place. For example, if you surround one of you units with your own troops, you can just move over them with that unit.
I am not saying it should be changed, but I would preffer if it would since it is not logical to walk over an allready ocupied spot.
Thank you.
monochromatic

Re: Friendly units walking over each other?

Post by monochromatic »

That certainly would make maneuvering a pain.
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

Remember, hexes can be miles across, so the units are not literally stepping on each other. But more importantly, this would change the gameplay a lot. It would make retreating units more difficult and may cause big problems near chokepoints.

You might be able to do this in WML already, but I can almost guarantee they will not consider this for mainline due to the changes in gameplay. Unless someone (hint, hint) does some scenarios or campaigns this way that get obscenely popular.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

:) Actually it is logical in most cases, as the occupying unit could move aside to allow the other unit to pass. And besides, something like that would slow down gameplay (like Speedbrain said) for no purpose (and the realism argument isn't going to take hold here, I should warn you :wink: ).
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Ken_Oh wrote:HAPMA
WINR
That sums it up pretty well.

What Ken_Oh said.
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

I think that some tile-based games slightly slide the unit letting pass its friend.
To pick an old example : Battle Chess http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKcZwPb7C3k (at 2:10 so see such moves).
That would probably solve the 'unrealistic' feeling. However, that looks like some work to code, especially to make it nice in all cases. For example, engine need to decide the best direction according to the traversal. And can we slide into impassable walls? Also do it for flying unit? And for tower-like units ? Petrified units ?

Also, I have no idea how it will look with Wesnoth style. There is good chance that it looks silly, which not really motivates to write a prototype.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Alink wrote:I think that some tile-based games slightly slide the unit letting pass its friend.
To pick an old example : Battle Chess http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKcZwPb7C3k (at 2:10 so see such moves).
That would probably solve the 'unrealistic' feeling. However, that looks like some work to code, especially to make it nice in all cases. For example, engine need to decide the best direction according to the traversal. And can we slide into impassable walls? Also do it for flying unit? And for tower-like units ? Petrified units ?

Also, I have no idea how it will look with Wesnoth style. There is good chance that it looks silly, which not really motivates to write a prototype.
There could be an own animation type for this, with "slide a bit to side" being the default.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

TheSilentOne wrote:Hi,
I have noticed that you can walk over friendly units in order to get to a new place. For example, if you surround one of you units with your own troops, you can just move over them with that unit.
I am not saying it should be changed, but I would preffer if it would since it is not logical to walk over an allready ocupied spot.
Thank you.
*Disclaimer: I am not ignoring what previous people have said in the thread--in fact I more or less agree with their assertions thus far--I am simply not addressing what others have said because I am approaching it from a different angle.

Okay! Have you ever played Fire Emblem? What about Shining Force? Or perhaps anything from the Final Fantasy Tactics series, or the Ogre Battle series from which it spun off from? What about the Civilization series? Now Wesnoth is none of these, but at the same time Wesnoth has a thing or two in common with all of these. And one thing all of these games have in common is friendly units do not obstruct one-another's paths. Now units cannot stack in most of these games, meaning the destination has to be an unoccupied location, but the path need not be. And this has been done in games where one square has a specific spatial description as well as games where the size of a hex is indeterminate.

I get the feeling that perhaps you are somewhat used to how things are done in RTS's. There's reasons things are done that way in those games, and it's more an anti-stacking measure than anything else.
Last edited by Zachron on June 22nd, 2010, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
boru

Post by boru »

Honestly I'm just glad units move their feet when they walk now. Although, gliding along had a certain unreal charm to it as well...
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

boru wrote:Honestly I'm just glad units move their feet when they walk now.
They do? :|
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:
boru wrote:Honestly I'm just glad units move their feet when they walk now.
They do? :|
They don't.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

They're begining to get animations for movement (see Sleepwalker's Saurian project). One day every unit will have all needed attack animations (including directionals, defense, etc.), standing (a bob or similar), idle and movement. But with over 200 units (quote from the Description page) it's going to take a long while before all units have all these.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

boru wrote:Honestly I'm just glad units move their feet when they walk now. Although, gliding along had a certain unreal charm to it as well...
I'm glad units talk to me when I stare at the screen now. Although, some times they tell me to do bad things...
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
boru

Post by boru »

ROFL
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.