Add-On Changelogs

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Hulavuta

Add-On Changelogs

Post by Hulavuta »

I think that when a person clicks on "Update Add-ons" it should give a changelog (probably written by the uploader) listing what exactly was changed. Many people give changelogs on the forum, but for an add-on that gets even only 100 downloads, you don't see even 25% of them posting on the forum or anything. Possibly it could be contained in the .pbl file?

I think this is a small convenience but could help people decide if they wanted to go through the hassle of updating. I'm assuming it's possible, and would work somewhat like description, but in the update menu instead of the add-ons menu. (This would make sense for large updates, and would help people more easily spot small ones)

[off-topic]

My 1000th post.

[/off-topic]
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Add-On Changelogs

Post by doofus-01 »

The uploaders can already give a brief note of changes in the description. If they aren't already doing that, I doubt they will use a new changelog feature.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Yeah, effective change logging is up to the add-on author, in the same way as it is up to the developer making the changes in mainline.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

But there is a menu for "Updating" add-ons so you can easily find updated ones. Isn't it more convenient to have it in the Update menu?
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I prefer to write my own changelogs (included in the addon directory as a file named ChangeLog or changelog) without being imposed any format restrictions by the game.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Hulavuta wrote:But there is a menu for "Updating" add-ons so you can easily find updated ones. Isn't it more convenient to have it in the Update menu?
Certainly every author won't use it, or even want to. But this is a good idea. It would be more convenient to have it there.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Molean

Post by Molean »

Well, beyond change logs, there should be a general description of some of these add ones so you can have some idea of what it is. To have to depend on the name and a grainy image only is very limited, leaves one nearly downloading at random sometimes.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

....there is.
~Sierra
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Molean wrote:To have to depend on the name and a grainy image only is very limited
Grainy? It's a mainline .png, man. And like Hulavuta said, there is already a description of each add-on (although I'll download just about anything that's a campaign or has complicated WML, without even reading the description most of the time :P ). Just select an add-on and look at the bottom right of the add-on window. There's a button there labeled "description". :wink:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."