Moving several units/sprites at once

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Daxion

Moving several units/sprites at once

Post by Daxion »

Suggestion:
Being able to move several Units, or Sprites of Units, at once via WML (mainly for story telling purposes)

I was just playing Northern Rebirth - Eastern Flank, and in the beginning Rakshas (Orc Leader) flees with several body-guards over the whole map, with several elves in pursuit.
This is done one unit at a time and looks a bit awkward.
I think it is important to be able to tell a story in that way, I also think it has to look better if the scenario designer wants to move several units during a story-pause.

I don't know my way around the Wesnoth-Code, but the simples straight forward way to do this, is to introduce some sort of WML tag, in which the movement code for a unit is stored till the tag is closed, and all movement of units inside the tag is executed at the same time.
The down side will be that the scenario designer will have to take care to make sure it looks good and natural (e.g. they don't "walk" on top of each other, or cross the same hex at the same time)

I believe it could be an important tool for story telling, eventhough the work-cost might be somewhat high.
HomerJ

Re: Moving several units/sprites at once

Post by HomerJ »

This may find more recognition in WML-workshop.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

You may want to look into [move_units_fake].
boru

Post by boru »

For those creating a campaign:

Don't forget that the human mind can "fill in the gaps" in many instances. You don't need to move a unit from the edge of the screen to his final destination, he can pop out from a bunch of trees and it will look just as normal (in many cases, more normal than a wild pan across a large map). Units can move a few hexes into a village and vanish there, or slip into the fog. In my own campaign, I have a unit that appears out of nowhere and moves forward one hex to speak to another unit nearby. It works fine, there's no need to see him approach over mountains and across rivers, it doesn't add anything to include all that, it just drags things out.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.