See the damage of the enemy if he attack you

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
El_Caballero

See the damage of the enemy if he attack you

Post by El_Caballero »

I have around 1 year playing wesnoth and i think that it need a way to calculate the damage that the enemy can do to yours units if he attack them. Now, i only can see the damage if i attack. I think that it function will help so much to the tactics to play :hmm: .

I think that it can so similar to the function to calculate the damage of your attack (The windows), but... it can be with another color, else the player can confuse.

PD: Sorry for my bad english.
Unnheulu

Re: See the damage of the enemy if he attack you

Post by Unnheulu »

Can't you just hover the mouse over the enemy unit?
El_Caballero

Post by El_Caballero »

If i hover the mouse over the unit i only can see the percent of protection of the terrain to the unit. But i am talking about a table, like when you press "Damage Calculations". It show a table with percents of percent of expected hp, and another features. :o
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

How exactly do you know which units the enemy will attack you with?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
El_Caballero

Post by El_Caballero »

If i want to attack a unit (or only to see the damage calculations), i click over my warrior, and after i click over the enemy warrior. Now, to see the enemy damage if he attack you, i propose to click over the enemy unit and after click over your unit. There will appear a windows with the table damage calculations.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

It sounds like he wants the ability to arbitrarily simulate combat between any two opposing units on the field, with either unit as the aggressor. This would also solve the "problem" of people getting ambushed when trying to view the calculations window.
IPS

Post by IPS »

El_Caballero wrote:If i want to attack a unit (or only to see the damage calculations), i click over my warrior, and after i click over the enemy warrior. Now, to see the enemy damage if he attack you, i propose to click over the enemy unit and after click over your unit. There will appear a windows with the table damage calculations.
This like a great idea, but at the moments you need to calculate the dammage with your eyes because there is not a dammage calculator to see how many dammage do to you if the enemy atack you (Well, if you have an heavy infatryman, you can't see how dammage you will recive by ranged by a archer or a mage)

This should be awesome.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, being able to call up the damage calculations box for any unit. I'm not sure how to implement this, without creating an entirely new UI option though.

Perhaps a basic in-game battle simulator option, but that would still be bulky without a clever way to integrate it.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
ParadiseCity

Post by ParadiseCity »

It sounds like a nice idea. It would be nice, especially for newer players who aren't as familiar with the attacks different units have. And in tough situations to figure out (such as a ulfserker attacking) everyone would have a use for it.

The idea also seems to have the advantage of not needing anything quite so new. All that really needs to be done is to be able to treat enemy units like yours, except that you obviously cannot attack with them. I'm not too familiar with code, especially the main code that the wesnoth combat engine uses, but it doesn't sound too hard. Someone is about to prove me wrong...I can feel it :augh: :lol2:
"The harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." -Thomas Jefferson
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

The idea is okay, so please fill a Feature Request on bugs.wesnoth.org before that thread gets lost.
El_Caballero

Post by El_Caballero »

fabi wrote:The idea is okay, so please fill a Feature Request on bugs.wesnoth.org before that thread gets lost.
https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?15784

Ready. I submitted it :wink: I hope that it will help the project. Thanks for listen to me.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

El_Caballero wrote:
fabi wrote:The idea is okay, so please fill a Feature Request on bugs.wesnoth.org before that thread gets lost.
https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?15784

Ready. I submitted it :wink: I hope that it will help the project. Thanks for listen to me.
Thank you for taking the time to fill the feature request.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

The idea is generally promising, but the implementation raises questions. Is this going to be a right-click option? A menu option? There'll need to be some way to note which tile the unit is attacking from, in much the same way that you pick the tile you attack from in the current move-attack.

My favoured option would be a three-step system:
1) Select "Calculate Battle Probabilities" from the "Actions" menu.
--> "Select the proposed attacker" appears in the middle of the screen. [Not in a dialog box].
2) You click on the unit you want to calculate as the attacker.
--> "Select the proposed defender, and direction" appears in the middle of the screen. [No dialog box].
3) You click the unit you want to calculate as the defender, with the usual directional options.
4) A "Calculate Battle Probabilities" dialog box appears, identical to the current pre-attack box.

A more advanced version of the "Calculate Battle Probabilities" box could allow you to select a specific terrain for both attacker and defender, change the time of day the battle was taking place at, or even select new attackers or defenders from a list of units on the battlefield. [A list of units from your recruit list would also be nice, but then there'd need to be a way to consider random traits].
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
El_Caballero

Post by El_Caballero »

I did not think to select any unit as attacker and any as defender is they are not visible in the battlefield. However, it (your idea) will do more useful. I only thought in select a enemy unit (when not ally unit has the focus, because will appear the usual directional option), and after select an ally unit. And there will appear the classic dialog box (the current pre-attack box), but a little different to avoid confusions.

Your idea is better that it, because you will be able to choose, for example, a wose (Because you believe that the forest has a wose ready to ambush).

Thanks.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

I think, it would be better to allow both ideas since Sangel's idea can take too much time if there's a too big battlefield. Also, in these ideas, it would be nice, to be able to temporary change hitpoints and add statuses like slowed to be able to get the worsest case.