Jukebox Tab

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Nurse_Paco

Jukebox Tab

Post by Nurse_Paco »

I must say, I do enjoy the music in Battle for Wesnoth to the point of keeping it open in the background just for the soundtrack. I suggest maybe installing a "Jukebox" tab in the main menu where you could cycle through the various musics in the game, see the titles, and see the composers who made the music.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Jukebox Tab

Post by Gambit »

Do you mind if I ammend your idea slightly?
Becuase if we ever did get a music track changer, it ought to recieve the ability to add new songs and such.

The biggest issue (besides actually coding it) is the campaign specific music. Should the users choice override those or not?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The music is a collection of .ogg files and there are plenty of .ogg players available. I use xmms, but I'm sure there are better ones. I just did a quick search and it looks like even Windows Media Player can handle them.

It would probably be a distraction for the Wesnoth developers to try to build one into the game.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

doofus-01 wrote:The music is a collection of .ogg files and there are plenty of .ogg players available. I use xmms, but I'm sure there are better ones. I just did a quick search and it looks like even Windows Media Player can handle them.
Newer versions maybe, but at least 8 and 9 (e.g. for Windows XP and a few blessed old versions) cannot.

Anyway, there's Audacious, VLC and Winamp, which support Ogg Vorbis tracks too.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

shadowmaster wrote:Newer versions maybe, but at least 8 and 9 (e.g. for Windows XP and a few blessed old versions) cannot.
WMP 8 and 9 can play ogg files the same way newer version of WMP can - by downloading external codecs (I believe the CCCP is currently the favored codec pack for Windows).
shadowmaster wrote:Anyway, there's Audacious
Are they trying to get themselves confused with Audacity? o_O
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Failing that, you can always just convert the music files to .mp3s and open them in iTunes or whatever. I used Studio Max; it's good and free.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

And converting the .ogg files to .mp3 doesn't result in a plunge in quality?
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

It didn't for me; they sound exactly the same, as far as I can tell.