Anti-Mirror match random.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Tonepoet

Re: Anti-Mirror match random.

Post by Tonepoet » January 7th, 2010, 7:18 am

Mirror matches are a natural part of the game and part of the risk of playing a random faction is that you'll get a less desirable factional matchup, which may or may not include a mirror match. It'd also make picking your own initial recruits much easier by eliminating your need to get units that're effective against their own faction. To effectively illustrate this thought, let's say I picked this Unique Random feature and got Drakes: I'd suddenly have much more confidence in recruiting Drake Burners because of the greatly lessened threat of fire tanks and feel much less of a need to get Saurian Augurs in their place due to the near eliminated potential for cold weakness. This would have an unbalancing effect on certain factions like the Undead, who're good against the cold type attack of the Saurian Augur but bad against the fire attack of the Drake Burner.

Of course many many people find the situation undesirable and I'm not saying that two similarly minded individuals should be forced into a situation they find distasteful. I'm just saying that the host should be able to override this feature if it's implemented, should they wish for a more traditionally styled game, much in the same manner that they're able to override somebody's factional pick already.

Also, just as an afterthought, what would happen during 7+ player games, where this is currently impossible to implement?
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)

tsr

Re: Anti-Mirror match random.

Post by tsr » January 7th, 2010, 8:57 am

Tonepoet wrote:Mirror matches are a natural part of the game...
A very nice perspective that I had never thought of, thanks.
Tonepoet wrote: Also, just as an afterthought, what would happen during 7+ player games, where this is currently impossible to implement?
Well, what I was thinking off for my era mod was to at least make sure that if there needs to be same factions they are on the same team. If that isn't possible either then it should just not bother. But this affects such a small amount of games that it is imho not really important (ofc in default there are 6 factions, but there are/might be other eras with even less factions).

/tsr