Turn timer without time limit

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Molean

Turn timer without time limit

Post by Molean »

I don't like time limits, but I want people to know how long they have been taking during their turns.

So I would like a turn timer option. You set it to a specific time, The timer counts down from that time. When it reaches zero it just flips to negative time and keeps counting (up this time of course) Their turn would not end at this time. The color of the timer or some other visual indication greater then a minus dash could be used to help tell people whether the number is negative or positive (though direction of counting would also tell you)

The game could also keep track of total time plus or minus used. Like if last time you were 10 seconds over, and next time you were 20 seconds under the time limit, it would tell you you have a 10 second surplus. This would just be information and would have no effect on the game. Such knowledge can help particular people move faster by giving them a frame of reference for how long they have been taking and by giving them a goal to reach.

A third option would be to have a turn timer like I mentioned, where the players turn can continue after the timer has reached zero, but the other players at any time can force that players turn to end if the timer has gone into negative value.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Turn timer without time limit

Post by beetlenaut »

Actually, the option of a time limit would be more useful I think. Some people get very impatient--they might like that idea. I think a chess-style timer would be the best: Each player gets a total time for the game, so if they move quickly, they build up a "time bank" that gives them more time to think later if they need it. Also, like a chess clock, each player would get more time after a certain number of moves. For example, each player might get 10 minutes added every 20 moves. If your time runs out, you lose the game. It seems very harsh if you were winning otherwise, but the justification is this: You were probably winning because you were taking more time to think!

You would also have the option of "speednoth" where each player only a few minutes for the whole game, or you could set it for one hour each if you knew you had that much time for a game but no more.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Molean

Post by Molean »

There already exists a time limit, I would just like to see a timer without the limit option as well, any developers care to chime in here?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Molean wrote:There already exists a time limit, I would just like to see a timer without the limit option as well, any developers care to chime in here?
He means an absolute timer (1 hour each side or something), and you play down--hence the chess reference.

Your timer seems to serve no use, so I don't know why someone would use it...:/
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Molean

Post by Molean »

I know what he means, but that would just be a variation of what already exists and is a completely different idea that belongs in its own thread. Where as, there is no 'simply a timer' option, which is what is being proposed here.
Your timer seems to serve no use, so I don't know why someone would use it...:/
I told you what use it would serve and you would know why someone would use it if you read my post.

It provides a way for those who dislike hard timers that limit their turn time for them, to measure how long they are taking and limit it for themselves.

The last idea would be a way to handle someone taking too long with a turn, but allow for them to take the time if understandable considering the situation, or if they need to leave to go to the bathroom or something.

If it benefits some people and its not very hard to program, why not have that option?