One idea, little suggestion and two questions.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
sylkis

Re: One idea, little suggestion and two questions.

Post by sylkis »

Thanatos wrote:
sylkis wrote:..., but still I bet that there are people that will think just the other way about, especially if they don't like fantasy and gather knowledge in some biological science, or sth.
You realize that Wesnoth is a fantasy game?
I do. and what of it? I still think that as the word 'drake' itself is uncommon, that for it the 'male duck' meaning is more common than 'dragon' one. But seeing that there still ARE people here who know this meaning tells that fantasy fans know both, and I know people who don't know the 'dragon' meaning whlile knowing the 'male duck' one, so the fantasy characteristics of wesnoth doesn't matter imo, as someone from outside fantasy communities would see it ridiculus ;). But I may be wrong of course.
Gambit wrote:
sylkis wrote:well I did belive so, but when I create maps and test it it turns out that it works only for AI - a player can recruit from the whole castle. Or I've missed sth and think about wrong two types of tiles (there is for instance wooden wall with camp inside or without, or there is castle with high or low towers/walls).
You made a giant chunk of keep but no castle. Keeps have the red towers. Keeps are always fancier.

wooden wall = castle
wooden wall + tent = keep

black castle = castle
black castle + throne = keep

castle = castle
castle + red towers = keep

stone/wood wall = castle
stone/wood wall + giant spikes sticking out of the side = keep
well, that is what I thought. And I DID make castle(few tiles)+red towers(one tile), but still I could recruit from the whole castle. And it was like that even in earlier versions of wesnoth (I play it for a year maybe, I dunno). Maybe it's some bug that occurs only to me? or I'll chceck it out once again...
Last edited by sylkis on November 16th, 2009, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

sylkis wrote:
Thanatos wrote: You realize that Wesnoth is a fantasy game?
I do. and what of it?
If you really don't get this hint, I cannot help you. :roll:
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

You can leave the Drake argument alone now. It's. Not. Happening. You're not going to persuade us, and continuing to gripe will make you look bad.

There's other topics to discuss here, but the Drake renaming discussion is done.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
sylkis

Post by sylkis »

Thanatos wrote:If you really don't get this hint, I cannot help you. :roll:
when you cut out the rest of the post it changes whole context and meaning of what I said. :roll: but okay, EOT. I don't want to do any trouble, so let's leave it.

about recruiting problem:
see? I pointed in red what I believed to be the only place i can recruit from, and the character is standing totaly elsewhere - and as you can see I've entered recruiting menu without problem. Or am I doing something wrong?
cause the consequense of that problem is that when I get to enemy's castle, I can recruit units even if he's at the spot that is supposed to be only that you can recruit from. And it works both ways.

EDIT: Ah! and I've just remembered one quite serious (for me) thing I forgot about yesterday.
The speed of animations grow geometrically: 1x,2x,4x,8x, etc. why not arithmetically? is it just about programmers' aesthetics, or a technical issue? because for me personally the 2x speed is kinda slow, have to wait a long time to see things happen - and 4x is WAY too fast, I never see what's going on. I'd probably prefer playing at 2,5x or 3x speed :) how much effort would it require to change it - just editing some settings in the code, or rewriting bigger part of it? if the first case, PLEASE modify it, I'd be really grateful :) if the second case, then I guess I'll have to keep the 2x speed...
Last edited by sylkis on November 16th, 2009, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

You can access the recruit screen when your leader is anywhere on the map. It won't let you actually recruit anything unless you are on a keep.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
sylkis

Post by sylkis »

oh. That's true, my bad :) I thought that this error occurs when you want to enter recruit menu, like when trying to summon and you have noone from the last level.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

If you feel strongly about your village experience idea, you can make it yourself with WML. It's easier to learn than most programming languages, and there are many people here willing to help. If you spent a weekend on it, you would probably have it working. You would be creating a macro that could be added to any scenario with a single line, then you'd have to add it to any scenario you wanted it in. (You could also add it to a unit definition to make it apply to just one unit.)

Actually, this would be easy to write. If you ask in the workshop, someone might just code it for you, but most of us want to see you put forth some effort first. (It's the difference between buying someone a fish, and teaching them how to catch fish.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
sylkis

Post by sylkis »

well, as I said before, I'm not much of a programmer. I used to "program" (or more like construcht algorithms in gui) with the oldschool RPG makers, and spent about two evenings learning ruby (I wanted to learn it at first, but well, I don't have much time for this as I'm studying at university) but still - afaik WML is a kind of XML, and is it my wrong impression, or XML looks similar to HTML (it's just more complex)? I used to know HTML in pre-highschool, at it was required to pass a year ;) I got that 'similarity' impression as a linux-user that sometimes edits some settings ;) so maybe I'll give it a try, when I'll have a bit more free time.

and what about the speed problem?
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

sylkis wrote:... afaik WML is a kind of XML, and is it my wrong impression, or XML looks similar to HTML (it's just more complex)? ...
To study the relaton between HTML and XML more closely, click here...
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

sylkis wrote:afaik WML is a kind of XML
HTML, XML, CFML:
<tag attribute="value">stuff being modified</tag>

WML
[tag]
[filter]
attribute="value"
[/filter]
attribute="value"
attribute="value"
[/tag]

Using tags and attributes is about as far as the similarities go.

Having a background in RPG Maker, you'll be able to pick up WML pretty fast. They're both setup like "event->action". Except instead of "action button", "player touch", "parrallel process" and "event touch" being your only possible trigger you have things like "turn x", "last_breath", "recruit", "move_to", and many, many, many, more.
sylkis

Post by sylkis »

huh, that sounds encouraging :D
maybe if I'll learn that WML stuff I'll also create some campaings.

but it made wonder - with the knowledge od WML, am I able to create a regular (j)tRPG based on wesnoth (engine, gameplay, etc - as it actually is a bit of a hybrid between turn-based strategy and tRPG) - i mean there'd have to be crated just some minimum non-linearity I guess, so that you could enter battlegrounds at whish from some kind of world map, maybe a charge-time-battle system (or would it be too much?), etc...that would be kickass

but of course before doing such thing one need lots of skill and experience I guess :D so for nowI'll stick to the maps and when I'll have more free time I'll try that town-exp idea.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

sylkis wrote: but it made wonder - with the knowledge od WML, am I able to create a regular (j)tRPG based on wesnoth.
I'll help you in this on pages of WMLWorkshop. Just post a question. Wesnoth will be quite good RPG.
sylkis

Post by sylkis »

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/ReferenceWML
I belive this is the tutorial I need to learn WML used for wesnoth (not some wap sites for oldschool phones), right?
when I'll encounter some problems I'll go to the WML workshop then.
sylkis wrote:and what about the speed problem?
I think it lies somewhere in the base of wesnoth, not with making campaigns or maps, so knowing WML won't help me much about this...