Deputy leaders in multiplayer

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
gorgolok

Deputy leaders in multiplayer

Post by gorgolok »

What I've been thinking of is the option to play MP scenarios with a deputy leader. I think it would add interesting strategy options to make the first recruit a deputy leader (little silver crown, canrecruit=yes). A side would only be beaten when both leader and deputy are dead.

The reason for this proposal is twofold: 1) on larger maps with multiple keeps, being able to recruit from 2 different points on the map would add a lot to strategy. 2) Your leader can be put to use at the front, but that means you'll have a level 1 leader should they die. 3) Lucky leader kills (enemy manages to hack a hole in the defenses, and a quick/strong horseman gets through and gets 2 hits in even though your leader has 60% defense) don't necessarily end the game.

It would not be a default setting, but instead an option for MP maps. Strategic choices would be interesting - e.g. would you have a scout as deputy to grab a small nearby keep quickly and recruit from there, even if it might mean losing your deputy early on? Would you take your most durable unit as a deputy, and bring your leader to the front lines? I think it would make an interesting feature.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Deputy leaders in multiplayer

Post by Ken_Oh »

Cool idea, dude. I look forward to you making a scenario like this so we can all play it.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I think you could do this with WML though it would be tricky because the game will have problems if you have more than one unit that has canrecruit=yes. You could probably create something to that effect by having a right click option that switches which unit is the leader at that moment.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

Nice idea, this can alter the strategic side of the game in a positive way!
Last edited by hiro hito on September 26th, 2009, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

Simplest way that I can think of to do this in WML would be to create an era with an event in it (which should be applied in all scenarios in that era, right?). The event would be a moveto with first_time_only=no, and would check the terrain for being a keep and the unit for being either a leader or a lieutenant. If both conditions matched, it would then set can_recruit=no for all units on the triggering side, and then set can_recruit=yes for $unit. The downside is that you'd have to move your leader off of and back onto a keep in order to get it to switch again, so a right-click menu item is probably better, if a tad more complicated.
The Knights of the Silver Spire campaign.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~pmawhorter - my website.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Yeah. You can't have two simultaneous recruiters.
You can have two units that canrecruit=1 but for some reason only the most recent one will be able to recruit. It should be easy enough with solswords suggestion
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Gambit wrote:Yeah. You can't have two simultaneous recruiters.
You can have two units that canrecruit=1 but for some reason only the most recent one will be able to recruit. It should be easy enough with solswords suggestion
This is a feature of Wesnoth, added for simplicity.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I have to disagree with you Death. It's a limitation. Not a feature. Just because normal wesnoth doesn't have multiple leaders doesn't mean the engine shouldn't support it.

imho, wml's power should stop just short of global domination.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Gambit wrote:I have to disagree with you Death. It's a limitation. Not a feature.
AS much as I agree with you, I have to say that these are just opinions, not statements.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Gambit wrote:I have to disagree with you Death. It's a limitation. Not a feature. Just because normal wesnoth doesn't have multiple leaders doesn't mean the engine shouldn't support it.

imho, wml's power should stop just short of global domination.
I agree. Not every game is a normal Wesnoth multiplayer game. Even some default campaigns are quite different than the true norm. The more options, the more varied mainline can be. It's FPI but this is one of the areas I strongly disagree with the developer decision on.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:
Gambit wrote:I have to disagree with you Death. It's a limitation. Not a feature.
AS much as I agree with you, I have to say that these are just opinions, not statements.
Technically, it's a statement of fact, not opinion (refer to the definitions of "limitation" and "feature"). Now, whether or not it's a good limitation is a matter of opinion, but it's really quite factual that it's a limitation, not a feature.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

Gambit wrote:It's a limitation. Not a feature. Just because normal wesnoth doesn't have multiple leaders doesn't mean the engine shouldn't support it.
But what if you WANTED a scenario in which the 'canrecruit=1' unit changes?

Out of 'only most recent canrecruit=1 can actually recruit' and 'all units with canreuit=1 can be used to recruit,' at least one of the options would need (relatively) complex WML to distinguish it from whatever the default is.
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
silene

Post by silene »

Gambit wrote:Just because normal wesnoth doesn't have multiple leaders doesn't mean the engine shouldn't support it.
As a matter of fact, the 1.7 engine supports it. The reason why "normal wesnoth" does not have it is because it would confuse the AI to no end. If you have bugs to report about the way multiple units with canrecruit=1 are handled, this is the place to go: https://gna.org/bugs/?group=wesnoth. Thanks.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

silene wrote: As a matter of fact, the 1.7 engine supports it. ... Thanks.
No. Thank you. :shock: