Body Count

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
donaldglenn

Body Count

Post by donaldglenn »

Yeah, OK, alright, I'm a newbie - just downloaded the game (1.6.5) a few days ago and have been playing it bunches. I think it's a very good game. Basically, what crossed my mind is less of an idea and more of a request. I didn't see it in the list of frequently posted ideas, but what I'm thinking of isn't really changing the game, so did I pick the wrong forum topic?

Here goes - I'd like to have a body count after each scenario and a cumalative total per campaign. Certainly this is NOT a new idea, but I've always found it interesting in games that had them to review my performance; see which units I've killed in what quantity, and how many troops I lost and what they were. I think Civ was the first time I ran across this.

Naturally, I don't expect you to put out a Version 1.6.6 just to keep me happy, but since 1.7.5 is new I thought it could be something you could look at adding in updates for that version, and if it's as good as 1.6.5 and I live long enough, I'm sure I'll get around to giving it a try - God knows I have at least a couple of hundred hours left to get through my current game!

Since I'm thinking while I'm writing this, I'm wondering if you ever looked at some kind of scoring system? For example, I always liked the "Hall of Fame" in Heroes of Might and Magic until they messed it up in Heroes III. Maybe this is too old school, but I'm pretty old, anyway. Since you have a finite number of turns in each scenario, it probably wouldn't be too hard to do, based on how quickly and at what difficulty level each scenario and the entire campaign were completed.

I hope you like these ideas, because the only reason I'm writing them is that this is the first free game I've ever downloaded after playing oodles of games I've bought for years, and this game is clearly a lot better than many of those. Actually, you don't have to like the ideas, but I hope I've written this well enough to convey the spirit with which they are intended.

All the best,

Don
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Body Count

Post by Velensk »

Such a count already exists (though it is only cumulative). Look under statistics.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Yes, press the "s" key.

You can even double click on a number to see it broken down by unit.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
donaldglenn

Post by donaldglenn »

Well, I do feel dumb. Thanks to the ease of the interface I had not checked out the main menu or the manual thoroughly - too easy just to play! I found the statistics menu earlier but never guessed that hitting the number would give me a breakdown per unit. Like the rest of this game, everything seems very neat, tidy, and well thought out.

Any thoughts on a scoring system?

Thanks a lot for setting me straight.

Don
taemyr

Post by taemyr »

For multi player there is an active ladder.

A general scoring system is probably a bad idea since it removes some flexibility from the campaign designers. At least one user made campaign used a system of tracking lesser goals to present a score on the end of the campaign.