Bats: Flying Wonders?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
jmegner

Bats: Flying Wonders?

Post by jmegner »

Araja wrote:Also dwarf-corpses get 70% on mountains, I was playing a knalgans and lost one of my ulferserkers to a WC, and rooting that zombie dwarf off my mountain was amazing difficult :?
Caphriel wrote:And drake zombies get 50% fire resistance... That's an unpleasant surprise for someone planning to burn one :lol2:
I decided to test this out on Wesnoth 1.6. I killed a drake fighter, clasher, and burner with soulesses. All drake undead had 0% fire resistance. I also killed a dwarven fighter and ulfserker, and they had 60% defense on mountains, just like normal walking corpses. Seems like walking corpses only differ by movement points and sprites.

Are you guys using 1.7?
Max

Re: Bats: Flying Wonders?

Post by Max »

jmegner wrote:I decided to test this out on Wesnoth 1.6. I killed a drake fighter, clasher, and burner with soulesses. All drake undead had 0% fire resistance. I also killed a dwarven fighter and ulfserker, and they had 60% defense on mountains, just like normal walking corpses. Seems like walking corpses only differ by movement points and sprites.
defense and resistances (besides arcane) aren't changed. the unit description only shows the stats of the standard WC. but if you move your mouse over units hps you should see the real resistances...
jmegner

Post by jmegner »

Max2008 wrote:
jmegner wrote:I decided to test this out on Wesnoth 1.6. I killed a drake fighter, clasher, and burner with soulesses. All drake undead had 0% fire resistance. I also killed a dwarven fighter and ulfserker, and they had 60% defense on mountains, just like normal walking corpses. Seems like walking corpses only differ by movement points and sprites.
defense and resistances (besides arcane) aren't changed. the unit description only shows the stats of the standard WC. but if you move your mouse over units hps you should see the real resistances...
I feel betrayed by the unit description. Could this be considered a bug?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

No. It's more of an easter egg. It's an intended feature, it's just a simple matter that the unit descriptions don't currently cater for WC unit variants. And making them do so would make the unit descriptions ridiculously long.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
jmegner

Post by jmegner »

thespaceinvader wrote:No. It's more of an easter egg. It's an intended feature, it's just a simple matter that the unit descriptions don't currently cater for WC unit variants. And making them do so would make the unit descriptions ridiculously long.
The developers intended for unit descriptions to be inaccurate? I can understand that if the decision was, "we will have the unit descriptions be inaccurate because the work required to make them accurate is not worth it". If so, I might make a patch.

I don't understand how having unit descriptions accurately state the WC variants' defenses and resistances would make unit descriptions ridiculously long. Are you talking about having a separate background text ("Spearmen are known for their...") for each WC variant would make unit descriptions long? Are you talking about the WC's description listing multiple sets of resistances and defenses?
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Rigor wrote:
Bats are insectivores and they play a vital ecological role by pollinating flowers, and some plants even rely completely on bats to distribute their seeds.
The soil where bats fly over to hunt the insects gets rich in nutrients for fungi, as bat droppings increase because of frequent usage of their caves.
After some time of growth, the fungi from wesnoth start to develop defense mechanisms so that they are not being eaten by insects.

As they further expand, spores are being thrown high in the air, containing a dangerous biological agent and when the bats inhale the nocif smoke they get dizzy from it, resulting in a longer time to fly over the zone.
Yes, a good points :D
R.I.P
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

it actually makes sense, and i can't think of another realistic reason why it would be that way (not including balance as a reason of course). it kinda reminds me of the thread about why ghosts get worse mp over water.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Pentarctagon wrote:it actually makes sense, and i can't think of another realistic reason why it would be that way (not including balance as a reason of course). it kinda reminds me of the thread about why ghosts get worse mp over water.
They kind of hover over there close to the ground instead of flying. They're lucky they can go over water at all.

EDIT: I like the bat mushroom excuse, by the way. What about other fliers though? It's unfortunate that mushroom grove is so linked to cave because mushrooms outside of cave make less since.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

jmegner wrote: The developers intended for unit descriptions to be inaccurate? I can understand that if the decision was, "we will have the unit descriptions be inaccurate because the work required to make them accurate is not worth it". If so, I might make a patch.
Current descriptions are for unit types and thus accurate. It might be nice if when you press d on a specific unit for example you'd get a description for that single unit with its traits and other modifications instead though.
jmegner wrote:Are you talking about the WC's description listing multiple sets of resistances and defenses?
Since they have different sets of resistances and defenses that would be needed.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Soliton wrote:
jmegner wrote:The developers intended for unit descriptions to be inaccurate? I can understand that if the decision was, "we will have the unit descriptions be inaccurate because the work required to make them accurate is not worth it". If so, I might make a patch.
Current descriptions are for unit types and thus accurate. It might be nice if when you press d on a specific unit for example you'd get a description for that single unit with its traits and other modifications instead though.
That might be more confusing, actually. Then everyone would expect a unit that's 9-2 strong to always be 10-2 and wonder why most are weak...
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Aethaeryn wrote:
Soliton wrote:Current descriptions are for unit types and thus accurate. It might be nice if when you press d on a specific unit for example you'd get a description for that single unit with its traits and other modifications instead though.
That might be more confusing, actually. Then everyone would expect a unit that's 9-2 strong to always be 10-2 and wonder why most are weak...
So, have both: "unit type" and "this unit" statistics. Can be in two columns.
This would work for variations (Walking corpse), traits (strong, intelligent, ...), and also objects which change something (like the scepter of fire in HttT, or a holy water in several campaigns). (Also this should show a special portrait/sprite, if this unit has another one than the unit type.)

But now we should be in the ideas forum :-)
jmegner

Post by jmegner »

Soliton wrote:
jmegner wrote: The developers intended for unit descriptions to be inaccurate? I can understand that if the decision was, "we will have the unit descriptions be inaccurate because the work required to make them accurate is not worth it". If so, I might make a patch.
jmegner wrote:Are you talking about the WC's description listing multiple sets of resistances and defenses?
Since they have different sets of resistances and defenses that would be needed.
You're right, a more accurate description is that players are given the unit description for the wrong unit.

Also, I was not imagining that the standard WC's unit description would have any more info than it already has. I was just hoping that pressing 'd' for a WC variant would show a unit description that actually described that unit.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Split and moved.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
melinath

Post by melinath »

jmegner wrote:Also, I was not imagining that the standard WC's unit description would have any more info than it already has. I was just hoping that pressing 'd' for a WC variant would show a unit description that actually described that unit.
I would like to see this implemented. Please, make that patch you were talking about!

The "two columns" thing for this unit/unit type wouldn't work too well with the current gui... perhaps just a small info screen? Like a message. Without the huge list of all possible units on the side.
krotop
2009 Map Contest Winner

Post by krotop »

Fir what it's worth, I would also love to have the variations of the unit reachable through the description menu.
Don't trust me, I'm just average player.
Game feedback for the Nightmares of Meloen
Art feedback by mystic x the unknown