all units like necrophage?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Kirit

all units like necrophage?

Post by Kirit »

when i played with the orcs i realised that the necrophage is collecting xp but is not evolving to a 3rd level unit. he just refills his HP.

i was wonderin if that would be possible for all "end-level" units. so when they cant gain another lvl, they just restore their hp. so one could save his high level units by gaining xp.

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It was added to the necrophage as kind of a special, like ambush or teleportation. So to me, what you are saying is kind of like saying "lets give every third level unit ambush so they don't die as easily in forest!".

But thats just me.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm

Kirit

Post by Kirit »

i dont saw it as a special.

it would just be another way of protecting your high level units. so now you would have to choose, if a lowlevel unit gets the kill(then the high level unit dies) or the high level unit gets the kill and therefor your lowlevel unit wont "evolve"

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Kirit wrote:i dont saw it as a special.

it would just be another way of protecting your high level units. so now you would have to choose, if a lowlevel unit gets the kill(then the high level unit dies) or the high level unit gets the kill and therefor your lowlevel unit wont "evolve"
Why is this a good thing? Why should this be added to the game? The game rules are good as they are, why is this change needed? You haven't nearly convinced me.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm

Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

You can just make sure your high level unit doesn't need to get in that situation in the first place.

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Kirit wrote:i dont saw it as a special.
well i'm pretty sure you're wrong.

the idea is that the necrophage eats the corpses of the people he kills, and after a certain number of kills this heals him. I can't think of any similar logic for other undead units.
The World of Orbivm

scott

Post by scott »

talk about finding the one thing that violates the scarcity of healing principle.

Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

It's the necrophage everyone!

scott

Post by scott »

Neoriceisgood wrote:It's the necrophage everyone!
It looks like the mud creature on the slim fast diet

Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Is it my fault the necrophage looks like that? >=(

tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

Nice portrait, with their green/brown colors would be great :)

scott

Post by scott »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Is it my fault the necrophage looks like that? >=(
Not at all. All of your art is really good. Could I commission a combination fighter/mage similar to a Final Fantasy red mage? He doesn't need to be red, but I thought it would be neat to have a renegade human mage that has a decent short sword blade attack (6-3), a cold ranged attack (6-2), and would fit in well with outlaws. Maybe a dark blue ratty cloak and a brownish-orange tunic underneath?

There are other hybrid melee/ranged units, but I don't think there are any with a magic attack. I envision this guy would be similar to Moremiryu, except recruitable and chaotic. He can kick some ass ranged but not be totally worthless in melee.

The rogue mage could advance to concentrate on magic (L2 black mage and L3 evil wizard) or concentrate on melee (L2 druid fighter and L3 druid chieftain?).

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The biggest problem with this idea imo is that it heavily advantages human players, and doesn't advantage the AI very much at all.

I think it's inevitable that humans start suggesting rules that advantage them, and don't necessarily advantage AIs. One of the aims of Wesnoth, however, is to be a game that is fun to play, but also relatively easy for an AI to play. Adding lots of rules that benefit players and not AIs is not a good way to achieve this, especially if the rules don't clearly add a large amount of fun to the game.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming

tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

Dave wrote:The biggest problem with this idea imo is that it heavily advantages human players, and doesn't advantage the AI very much at all.

I think it's inevitable that humans start suggesting rules that advantage them, and don't necessarily advantage AIs. One of the aims of Wesnoth, however, is to be a game that is fun to play, but also relatively easy for an AI to play. Adding lots of rules that benefit players and not AIs is not a good way to achieve this, especially if the rules don't clearly add a large amount of fun to the game.

David
Yes dave, but think that most games today are multiplayer oriented. Generalized connection to the internet make games multiplayer oriented. Too often, you see that single player only works as tutorial for multiplayer games then. I think all games goes this line, first, a single player only to know the general rules, and the multiplayer, where AI is don't needed.

What do you think? AI should be improved? no rather habilites should be added? or what?

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

tigrezno wrote:
Dave wrote:The biggest problem with this idea imo is that it heavily advantages human players, and doesn't advantage the AI very much at all.

David
Yes dave, but think that most games today are multiplayer oriented. Generalized connection to the internet make games multiplayer oriented. Too often, you see that single player only works as tutorial for multiplayer games then. I think all games goes this line, first, a single player only to know the general rules, and the multiplayer, where AI is don't needed.
'most' games might be like this, but (fortunately!) Wesnoth is not 'most' games.

The primary aim of Wesnoth is single player; to have fun, enjoyable single player campaigns. A quality multiplayer experience is a goal that the Wesnoth development team is committed to, but single player is a game on its own, not a part of multiplayer.

Furthermore, the feature described here would barely be used in multiplayer, since very very few units reach their maximum level in multiplayer games anyhow. It is definitely a single player oriented feature.

I realize that many people believe that multiplayer is the 'best' way to play games, and always more fun than single player. However, I disagree with these people. I enjoy multiplayer games, but I also enjoy single player games.
tigrezno wrote: What do you think? AI should be improved? no rather habilites should be added? or what?
We're always looking for ways to improve the AI, and part of this is to be careful in only implementing game rules that the AI can use effectively.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming