Intro WML...

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
JaxLaurant

Intro WML...

Post by JaxLaurant »

If the IntroWML could be made slightly more powerful - for example, for it to accept option menus, display messages and allow it to goto parts as opposed being hardcored to progress linearly, I think it would immensely expand the storytelling potential of campaigns.

For examples,
  • A lengthy noncombat sequence wherein the player can choose to talk to NPCs before battle, possibly make prebattle preparations that will affect the coming scenario.
  • A more of less comprehensive 'cut scene' system of storytelling in the spirit of Fire Emblem would be possible, permitting backgrounds to be varied with talking heads.
  • A 'comic book' system of storytelling with nearly empty messages while large images in separate panels convey action and emotion.
  • At the ultimate extreme, a RPG driven campaign of nearly menu-based play.
Its currently possible to do this, I understand, but only in an extremely messy method. It doesn't seem difficult to expand the IntroWML in this way codewise, and it would greatly improve storytelling potential.

Thanks in advance. My apologies if this was brought up before - I did a search and none seemed evident.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Intro WML...

Post by Turuk »

JaxLaurant wrote:Its currently possible to do this, I understand, but only in an extremely messy method. It doesn't seem difficult to expand the IntroWML in this way codewise, and it would greatly improve storytelling potential.
If it's currently possible but seemingly easily improved, I am sure the developers would appreciate any help you might have towards showing code to go with your idea so that they do not have to drop what they are working on to pick this up.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Intro WML...

Post by doofus-01 »

You can do this to some extent with dummy scenarios that end in the "start" event. It's true that moving the little sprites around and having dialogues isn't quite the same, but it's pretty close. And because there will seldom be quality story images to go with such an expanded Introduction sequence, I'm not sure the dummy scenario is really any uglier.