Improve In-Game statistics (Gold value)

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
drwilly

Improve In-Game statistics (Gold value)

Post by drwilly »

Right now the ingame statistics display the number of recruits, recalls, advancements, kills and deaths.
But with all the different units in wesnoth that info isnt too useful.
Say i've killed 5 units and lost 5.
If that means i lost 5 goblin spearmen and killed 5 horsemen. Awesome.
If it means i lost 5 gryphons and killed 5 walking corpses. Well ... not so awesome.

To make these statistics a bit more meaningful i'd suggest to add the total gold value of the units that show up in the statistics.

recruits: how gold have I spent on recruits
recalls: how gold have I spent on recalls
advancements: here i'd display the "gained value" of all the units that have advanced. Suppose a vampire bat (13g) advances to a blood bat (21g), then the gained value for that unit would be (21-13=) 8 Gold
kills: total value of the units i killed
deaths: total value of the units i lost

This way the statistics would give you a better idea of how you are actually doing.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Improve In-Game statistics (Gold value)

Post by Turuk »

Moved to the right forum.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
JW

Post by JW »

How about making a whole 'economy' tab? It would show what you've proposed as well as:
1) gold gained through income
2) gold spent on upkeep
drwilly

Post by drwilly »

JW wrote:How about making a whole 'economy' tab? It would show what you've proposed as well as:
1) gold gained through income
2) gold spent on upkeep
Well I tried to stick with 'whats there' as much as possible, but such an dedicated economy tab would be very interesting for observers or team players.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Thumbs up to "economy tab" idea. That would be really useful information.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
idanwin

Post by idanwin »

definately a good idea!
~Idanwin
Life is short, I can make it even shorter...
Gallery ~ Contrib:Idanwin (21)
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

How about making a whole 'economy' tab?
It's not a bad idea.
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
halifix

Post by halifix »

Sounds good. We could also add a "villages captured" and "villages lost" (where they must transfer ownership, not simply be unclaimed at first, or lost from losing a leader). It might not mean much if villages are constantly being swapped, and the time of capture is more important than the amount (undead v drakes), but it could help.
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

halifix wrote:Sounds good. We could also add a "villages captured" and "villages lost" (where they must transfer ownership, not simply be unclaimed at first, or lost from losing a leader). It might not mean much if villages are constantly being swapped, and the time of capture is more important than the amount (undead v drakes), but it could help.
Would it count if there was WML that made you lose control of the villages?
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

can the game itself even count that yet?

after all it doesnt know when villages disappear via WML... (unless told)
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

I think it should be of note that Wesnoth has memorization of what units you've killed and lost when you double click the relevant stat in the statistics menu. I'm always checking it out to get an idea of wether I'm winning or losing so I can decide to attack or defend. If I didn't know the unit prices by heart however, it wouldn't be nearly as useful however since it'd just tell me the same thing that the kill/loss did, only with pretty pictures and unit types. Even though I know the unit prices by heart however, I still often make a quick general guess as to what the total numbers combined mean, since I don't want to make my multiplayer opponents any more impatient as they already are.

Perhaps for simplicity's sake, the game could add up the total value next to each unit in that listing and then give you the grand total in the format of (Insert Gold Coins Here) Total Gold: #. It'd make it kind of like a receipt, which is an almost universally known accounting format and wouldn't clutter up the main statistics screen. This number might be somewhat skewed in the case of level ups either recalled or from kill exp. but it's as elegant of a solution as I can think of.
Htonsew Rof Elttab Eht is just too cool for school. I've got no words to describe it. Have any of you guys tried it? ;-)
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

In addition to numbers, it would be nice to display a graph of numbers in each turn. (If I remember correctly, Warlords had something like this, and it was cool.)

I imagine the dialog having a list of possible values on the left, such as "Units", "Cost of Units", "Units Killed" (means: how many units you killed in turn X), "Cost of Units Killed", "Units Lost", "Cost of Units Lost", "Income", "Upkeep", "Gold at Turn Start", "Villages", [EDIT: "Experience Gained", "Units Advanced", "Levels of Units", "Levels of Units Killed", "Percent of Map Visible" (with shroud), "Hitpoints of Units",] etc. When you select a value, the graph is displayed -- the line for each side is painted using the color of that side. If the information for enemy is unknown (because you use fog/shroud), it either is not displayed at all, or an estimate is displayed using a dotted line -- for example if you want to see "Villages" with shroud, it will actually mean "enemy villages on the visible part of map", with fog it would mean "villages that belonged to enemy when you last saw them". (The idea is that graph should not tell you anything you could not see on the map, or guess based on what you see. Yet it should somehow represent what you see, even if you are not given exact information.)

When you use WML to kill units, if I remember correctly, there is an attribute whether you want to display a dying animation. So maybe we could include that unit into "Units Lost" only if the animation was displayed. Or there could be a new WML attribute to provide hints for statistical system, for example when WML event kills the unit, an attribute could specify which side was the "killer" (where should this unit belong to "Units Killed").