New Descriptions?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Dragonchampion

New Descriptions?

Post by Dragonchampion »

I have been playing Wesnoth since 1.2.0, and I have seen no one has updated the descriptions. I, as an author, can write new ones, if everyone wishes. Here would be my Grand Marshal description, for example:

"The Grand Marshals of Weldyn control large masses of troops, and coordinate efforts on the battlefield. They have been with the Wenothian military for years, and their tactical abilities are very important on and off the battlefield. When the time comes for them to aid their fellows, however, they use thies sword and crossbow to the fullest extent, fighting with a furiocity unmatched within the human ranks."

Tell me what you think, and if it is good, I will work on that instead of my own random ideas.
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: New Descriptions?

Post by thespaceinvader »

Why do you feel they need updating?

Remember, changes need logical reasons to institute.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I'm sure a lot of descriptions could be made much better, but please also add the current descriptions when you post a proposal for a new one. A couple of words describing why yours is an improvement wouldn't hurt either unless the original is obviously really short or not-so-awesome (like the highwayman, for example).
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Okay! I just felt that they could be fore "descriptive". As for then being able to be improved, I never said I was the best author in the world or anything. I just thought it was time for a change, as most of the units look different, have weaker attacks, etc. Anyways, here is the description for the marshal:

The rank of Grand Marshal is one of the most esteemed in the armies of humanity, and those who bear its title have survived many trial by fire, proving both their tactical wit and their considerable mettle at personal combat.
Special Notes: Leadership

I think mine is batter because it is more descriptive, and most people who read the descriptions enjoy descriptive descriptions.
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The only thing I'd argue with in oyur description is including a specific location - the Grand Marshal doesn't have to be from Weldyn. They don't have to be from Wesnoth, either...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

How about this?

Grand Marshals are the pinnacle of the human's military leaders. They command large armies of both mounted and foot soldiers, and are proficient with both the sword and the crossbow themselves. To see a Grand Master on the enemy's side is a frightening thing indeed, as they rally and aid their companions in battle.

LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

It may appear that changing a unit description takes very little work to implement, but remember that every edit to text in one language requires the work of many translators to also make edits to other language versions of Wesnoth.

So I think the chances of a dev paying attention to new descriptions is quite low.

But remember you can always write your own descriptions if you make your own units in your own campaigns and/or eras.
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

LemonTea wrote:It may appear that changing a unit description takes very little work to implement, but remember that every edit to text in one language requires the work of many translators to also make edits to other language versions of Wesnoth.

So I think the chances of a dev paying attention to new descriptions is quite low.

But remember you can always write your own descriptions if you make your own units in your own campaigns and/or eras.
However, don't his sentiment prevent you from trying, and posting your updated subscriptions. Only way to get people's interest is to let them see what you are doing ^__^
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Okay! Because of the sheer immensity of units in Wesnoth, I'll wortk on them and then post them as an attachment. Thanks for the advice, Thrawn!

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Dragonchampion wrote:Okay! Because of the sheer immensity of units in Wesnoth, I'll wortk on them and then post them as an attachment. Thanks for the advice, Thrawn!
As noted with the issue of having them translated, I think this is your best bet as with all of them done at once (or all of those you feel need updating), they can be sorted through and chosen so that the update is applied to the descriptions in one go and the translators can be notified, rather than adding in a new description here and there.

Good luck with your efforts.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time