Unit Sound On Selection

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Mabuse

Unit Sound On Selection

Post by Mabuse »

if you add more sounds i would first start off with

-moving sounds
-clicking sounds
(a response of the unit if you click at it)

and thats no joke from my side :)

EDIT:
many turn-based games have that, and as long the sounds are good its a great thing and will add a lot of atmosphere - you will find yourself clicking on the units just to hear the sound they make

.. btw, the clicking sounds sounds should be only played/hearable for the player who actually clicks on the units, not "global". if this is not possible leave it away, but moving sound will be a nice touch anyway.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
HomerJ

Re: attack sound/animation changes based on resistance

Post by HomerJ »

Mabuse wrote:if you add more sounds i would first start off with

-moving sounds
-clicking sounds
(a response of the unit if you click at it)
I disagree here, there is nothing more annoying than those respond-to-be-picked sounds. Glest has that and it was one of the things that made me turn of sounds completely. At least when ever anyone even thinks of doing it, make it to be a user preference thing.

Greetz
HomerJ

Edit: messed up quote...
Six years without a signature!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I have to agree, as clicking and move to sounds are nice to hear for each unit for a little while, but then they start to get old as they are repetitive, and I end up just turning them off as well.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
pharo212

Post by pharo212 »

Clicking sounds? Gah, starcraft memories. Maybe an animation, but I never want to hear something like "Need a light" in wesnoth every time I click on a unit.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

IIRC the only point of the unit-responces in Starcraft and Warcraft is to make it a little easier to tell whether or not you've got everybody hotkeyed correctly (which could otherwise be something of a pain).

In order to work, they've got to be well-done and there have to be >3 for each unit, IMO. That's... A lot of sound for very little benefit.

(PS: Turuk/any other Sith--I'm not sure, this tangent might, maybe, warrant a thread-split?)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Unit Sound On Selection

Post by Turuk »

Skizzaltix wrote:(PS: Turuk/any other Sith--I'm not sure, this tangent might, maybe, warrant a thread-split?)
Done.

Click on selection sounds would be nice, but as noted, it could get annoying quickly. If there was an option to turn such sounds off.... that's a different story. All in all though, it seems a lot of work towards something that a number of people would turn off anyways.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

Wesnoth is not a RTS. In a RTS, I usually leave these sounds because I select some units, give them some orders, and watch for the results. It's a bit more slow that moving in a turn based game (although I suppose that there are some turn based games with this feature).

Anyway, I think it would be very annoying, specially in the n-n-n-n sequence that you do when you are checking your moved units.

I don't want to speak for others, but I don't feel like there is much popular demand on this.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
kyi_the_bard

Post by kyi_the_bard »

I think that it would be irritating for normal units, but for units like Li'sar I could see a line like, "I think I should be giving the orders here."

And it would work for them because you don't click on 3+ a turn.

Normally.
Meow
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hehe, btw i just see this -

btw, i completely agree that sound may suck if they are crappy, but if they are good then its an enrichment.

and of course one sound per unit wouldnd be enough for that.

there are many turn based game (for example WARLORDS, Panzer General) which feature click sounds, and as said if they are decent i see this as an enrichment, i dont fully understand why people react so negative on that. :P

anyway, i dont really care if these are implemented or not, i also dont care much if there are different sounds for the mace when hitting an adept or a wose.

Edit
But thats also a matter of personal taste, and mood actually.

While i would NEVER say that Wesnoth Music is crappy for example (in fact some tracks can be really enjoyable) it still annoys me kinda when i play so the music is always turned off.

but as said thats nothing about wesnoth music, as i tried listening to other music i also turned it off after a short while ... :lol2:

EDIT:
btw that reminds me that i really should listen to "legend of the north" again soon.
one of my fav wesnoth soundtracks, absolutely driving and heroic ... kinda :)
i like it really much.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Pk_JoA

Post by Pk_JoA »

It will be interesting for special units as Konrad or so... but no for every unit.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I don't know if this is an idea I would like or not, so I am curious.

This has been a recurring idea, but it always gets assumed we don't have enough time/interest/resources/rupees (or insert your reason here). However, I don't think anyone has truly taken a step further by trying it out and presenting to the community whether or not it actually improves the gaming experience.

Seems like, if this was a senate, business, or community organization, that maybe a special committee would be generated and meet to not only determine the feasibility, but to even try it with a couple of units and most importantly, test and elicit feedback.

If that were to happen (another if here) then my first questions include:
  • Who has good sound equipment available?
  • Who has good acting voices to portray our units?
  • What will these units say?

If this does go forward, it might be necessary to post in the music/sound forum. I think it would be good to at least have support of one of the regular music contributors if this idea were to get off the ground.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

ancestral wrote:However, I don't think anyone has truly taken a step further by trying it out and presenting to the community
This defines the Ideas forum. People are full of ideas but almost no one wants to take the effort to actually develop their idea to try for inclusion into the game, they just want someone else to work on it, so this is really nothing new.
ancestral wrote:regular music contributors
An oxymoron, but given the recent thread about people posting this skills in an interest of collaboration, maybe contacting them would let you find someone willing to help.

Also, there does not need to be a special senate, panel, committee, board, jury or whatever. Just get yourself or a couple people to work together and do it, and then present actual results if you want it to be considered for the game.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Well, maybe not sounds per unit, but general sounds per unit type. The only utility i saw in sounds was that while you were thinking, you got a cue about what were you clicking, so:

1. click on unit
2. unit automatically executes it's resting animation. A sound relevant to the unit type plays.

So if you click on a fighter unit you hear a metallic clash or the buzz of a swing, or an animal warcry. Archers give out the dramatic stretching of a bowstring. Mounts either do their sound or the yell of the rider. Mages the booming of arcane energy.

Don't we already have moving sounds? It may be my subconscious, but i remember horse hooves.

EDIT:*reads below*

Elven horses special somehow :? ?
Last edited by Cuyo Quiz on April 1st, 2009, 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:Don't we already have moving sounds? It may be my subconscious, but i remember horse hooves.
Yup. Horse-canter.wav and Horse-elf-canter.wav are in the game.