Lighted cave spaces?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
chaoticwanderer

Lighted cave spaces?

Post by chaoticwanderer »

I just have a quick question. I like how you can have spaces with light filtering through, but if the light is coming from outside, why doesn't the light change with the time of day? So in other words why aren't lighted patches of cave affected by day and night?

Also, on a side note, in multiplayer, there should be a "return" button, in the waiting screen after the map has been selected. This is particularly annoying for local matches, because is you do something wrong and have to change the settings, you go back all the way to the title screen.

And on a side side note, there have been a ton of locked threads!
The RNG helps those who help themselves.
Corvvs

Re: Lighted cave spaces?

Post by Corvvs »

chaoticwanderer wrote:I just have a quick question. I like how you can have spaces with light filtering through, but if the light is coming from outside, why doesn't the light change with the time of day? So in other words why aren't lighted patches of cave affected by day and night?
I'm pretty sure that's kind of out of the spirit of KISS, but that's not really my call. Also, most cave maps are almost totally cave, with only a little bit of illuminated cave. Thus, if they were not always lit, they would be pretty insignificant.
chaoticwanderer wrote: Also, on a side note, in multiplayer, there should be a "return" button, in the waiting screen after the map has been selected. This is particularly annoying for local matches, because is you do something wrong and have to change the settings, you go back all the way to the title screen.
Not a bad idea but I strongly suspect this has been posted before...
chaoticwanderer wrote: And on a side side note, there have been a ton of locked threads!
It makes my day when I come home and read all the locked threads. Be still, my inner sadist...
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

chaoticwanderer wrote:I just have a quick question. I like how you can have spaces with light filtering through, but if the light is coming from outside, why doesn't the light change with the time of day? So in other words why aren't lighted patches of cave affected by day and night?
I would have to agree, it is a bit out of KISS, but the main point about that idea is how often would it really be used? I can only think of a limited number of scenarios that use the lit cave terrain, and even then it is as an entrance/exit that is on the edge of the map, and not an area the player is fighting in actively.
chaoticwanderer wrote:And on a side side note, there have been a ton of locked threads!
Tis the nature of those threads.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I bet you a dime you could do it really easily with a WML macro :hmm:

>>locked threads

I had the same reaction, actually--When I checked the forums again for the first time in a while a few days ago, there were something like six locked threads in a row on the front page; now, I know that the ideas forum has a relatively high percentage of locked threads and high-fructose corn-syrup, but still--And there appear to be a bunch more, now O_o
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Skizzaltix wrote:I bet you a dime you could do it really easily with a WML macro
Indeed, it would not be hard to do, though I am not sure this idea has enough practical merit to be put into mainline, though having such a macro available for use might not be a bad thing. You would also have to come up with two cave terrains that reflect lit terrain changing, one for dawn/dusk and one for night (small bit of light to distinguish it from regular cave tile).
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

Turuk wrote:You would also have to come up with two cave terrains that reflect lit terrain changing, one for dawn/dusk and one for night (small bit of light to distinguish it from regular cave tile).
isn't the lit tile just the base tile + a "lit" overlay?that's the way the editor makes it appear (and would make sense)... if so, it'd really just be a bit of color/transparency-shifting on that base overlay to get those frames...
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Indeed, it is currently a separate image placed over the tile. I was not saying that it would be hard, just that this is one of those things that if you want to see it happen, you would have to do the work first so people can see how it works out.
bert1

Post by bert1 »

Perhaps phosphorescence could explain it, although the graphics do look like beams coming through.
Good is simply that which is willed. - Eugene Halliday
cretin

Post by cretin »

this is a rather interesting idea that ive never thought about. it 'could' be an interesting feature, but to see how much it would change it would be needed to be tested first. it could alter strategy underground and add some flaver though.

phosphorescence on its own another good idea

*sidenote*
-i like the locked threads less junk floating around
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

By default they are not. It would not be KISS to hard-code in the engine that terrains which affect the lighting level should also have a Time of Day schedule. It would be pretty difficult to cover the case where the scenario writer doesn't really want a hard-coded local schedule for those hexes.

Therefore the option for scenario writers is to use [time_area] to define their own schedules in those hexes, e.g.:

Code: Select all

[event]
    name=prestart
    [time_area]
        id=area1
        terrain=*^Ii
        {DEFAULT_SCHEDULE}
    [/time_area]
[/event]
IIRC. The code above might not be accurate. Use it as pseudo-code (assuming you even know what that means :roll:).
EDIT: oh yeah, forgot to mention that filtering terrains with real std. location filters in [time_area] is only possible in 1.5.x and only inside [event]s. Because um... I've got to fix that.
EDIT2: Technicalities aside, having the default ToD schedule applied on illuminated cave hexes is kind of odd, to say the least. Let's see why: even at day, you may not get light from the cave roof depending on the surface's shape and how shadows are cast, at what position the sun is, etc.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Turuk wrote:
I can only think of a limited number of scenarios that use the lit cave terrain, and even then it is as an entrance/exit that is on the edge of the map, and not an area the player is fighting in actively.
Uhhh, its used to *SOMEWHAT* balance cave maps for something such as Dwarves VS UD. Thats the only time I've seen it.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

DEATH_is_undead wrote:Uhhh, its used to *SOMEWHAT* balance cave maps for something such as Dwarves VS UD. Thats the only time I've seen it.
Indeed, but that is why I said scenarios and the whole entrance/exit bit, I am not referring to multiplayer but to scenarios in campaigns. Like Shadow_Master pointed out, if this did exist in the game, it would not be hard-coded into the engine, but rather be around as a possible alternative to cave tiles that are constantly lit. I am aware of the potential implications it would have for multiplayer if it was made the standard, but this is not suggested as a replacement to the current always on light, just the creation of a version subject to TOD.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Maybe this would be to difficult but maybe not; what if it was a separate light terrain?
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Mirion147 wrote:Maybe this would be to difficult but maybe not; what if it was a separate light terrain?
As in if this light halo is placed over this section of terrain, it will now be subject to TOD? I think that was already covered, or at least making images so that the light would appear to change on those hexes. Making it a separate terrain, eh, in what instances what it be used effectively?

Or do you mean a terrain solely of light, where the player must balance on lightbeams while dodging attacks? ;)
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Turuk wrote:Or do you mean a terrain solely of light, where the player must balance on lightbeams while dodging attacks? ;)
Haha, not quite. I meant have one terrain where light is constant and have another that is subject to ToD.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!