Official server game list

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
5dPZ

Official server game list

Post by 5dPZ »

On official server, make new game with available slot show up on the top.

Followed by new game with no available slot.

Then started games where there 1 players are controlling 2 or more sides.

Then all other games arranged by number of turns.

The list can refresh every 10 sec or so.
JW

Re: Official server game list

Post by JW »

5dPZ wrote:On official server, make new game with available slot show up on the top.
I really don't know why it's the reverse myself........
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I think it would make more sense to order it this way. The first time I tried it, it took me a minute to figure out where the open games were.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

JW wrote:I really don't know why it's the reverse myself........
Probably because it would be confusing if later new games are created, and your list on screen is automatically scrolled. Or should "older" games with empty slots appear at the top, and the "newer" ones at the bottom?

Maybe it would be good to start the multiplayer lobby with screen scrolled to the bottom, though...
Jodwin

Post by Jodwin »

Or maybe the list could be split in two (by a separator line, or maybe actually two different lists) with open games oldest first on top (IMO if you've been waiting for 15 minutes for the last player to join you should be higher than the guys who have been waiting for 30 seconds), and the second list having closed games for those who like to observe.

The biggest question would be how to handle games that suddenly get open slots during the gameplay...I guess they'd be in the open list, but top or bottom? :hmm:

Or there could be a bunchy of options for sorting the list(s): Player slots, map name, game name, era being used, turn, time created...
Yes I use windows, too.
Yes I too am aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows too.
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

yeh if you made it so the screen would have to scroll automatically when new games were made that would be annoying,

But if it didn't scroll... new games would be created above where you are looking! Very counter-intuitive (might be why its the way it is).

An added bonus is its nice to scroll past the games at the top to look for games, then you might stop to watch a match with a weird mod, or even two elite players you reconise on an impulse, instead of having to decide *ok today i'll go watch some games*.

A happy side effect of this is some of the noobies (who think they are "leet"), who would never decide to watch games and educate themselves, might actually watch them on an impulse for once!

Misclicks from auto scrolling would help in the regard, but it would also infuriate other players.

Maby if its not broken dont fix it?
JW

Post by JW »

roadkill wrote:Maby if its not broken dont fix it?
The argument is that it is broken in some way.

Also, I find that kind of attitude to be horrendous in general. Yeah, let's not adapt to something better because we meet a base standard of something that's acceptable. A good philosophy to live by.

Of course, this is not meant as a personal dig, and of course this argument is persuasive when drastic efforts are involved in updating, my only purpose is to dissuade people from overusing this flawed cliche.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

It used to be as you propose, but since the server refreshes more quickly than 10 sec. currently, if several people (even 2 or 3) create a game within a second of each other (which happens freqently) then all the games in the list moved. It was changed to put new games on the bottom because the old way was really annoying (people would double click on a game only to have it move at the last second). Am I really that old - that other people don't remember how annoying that was?

One more of these threads and this will have to become FPI... :wink:
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
5dPZ

Post by 5dPZ »

Wintermute wrote:It used to be as you propose, but since the server refreshes more quickly than 10 sec. currently, if several people (even 2 or 3) create a game within a second of each other (which happens freqently) then all the games in the list moved. It was changed to put new games on the bottom because the old way was really annoying (people would double click on a game only to have it move at the last second). Am I really that old - that other people don't remember how annoying that was?

One more of these threads and this will have to become FPI... :wink:
Then make it refresh at 10 sec or longer :lol2:
Jodwin

Post by Jodwin »

Or add a 'refresh'-button so that it refreshes only when you enter the lobby and when you press the button. :P
Yes I use windows, too.
Yes I too am aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows too.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Viliam wrote:Maybe it would be good to start the multiplayer lobby with screen scrolled to the bottom, though...
This would be quite an improvement, and would solve the problem. (Every time I refresh the screen for whatever reason, scrolling to the bottom is the first thing i do.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

JW wrote: The argument is that it is broken in some way.
Hmm well regardless of if it is broken or not in the eyes of any beholder, (I don't think it is btw, as I highlighted in my post). Its certainly not broken enough definantly warrent fixing, because some people think its not that broken or really broken at all, (if I do turn out to be in the vast deranged minority, then of course that'd be different).
Also, I find that kind of attitude to be horrendous in general. Yeah, let's not adapt to something better because we meet a base standard of something that's acceptable. A good philosophy to live by.
I know you just tried to depreciate the philosophy by using sarcasm, however I still think it is a valid rule to live by (of course using restraint for extremes), I used to live by your philosophy too, sharing the same opinion about IINBDFI, but now I actually use it & believe it & have found it to be true in many cases.

When things arn't broken and you fix them you risk breaking them by introducing unforseen problems (well sometimes forseen problems too). In this case we might fix it to discover that you misclick because of a moving list as an unforseen problem. (of course we know this one already, I can't use an example I don't know about can I?).
Of course, this is not meant as a personal dig, and of course this argument is persuasive when drastic efforts are involved in updating, my only purpose is to dissuade people from overusing this flawed cliche.
Perhaps the cliche would be better as "don't make stylistic changes for the sake of it, you may introduce new problems".

Of course you can try stylistic changes out, but it only make senses to do this when there is nothing else to do, but if you have to waste time changing it and rechanging it, perhaps that time could have been spent fixing something more beneficial.

Perhaps IINBDFI has less to do with not striving to make things as good as possible, and more to do with the efficient use of time.

Of course this isn't ment as a dig either, Just expressing that its don't think its as flawed as you make it out to be, perhaps you can look at the philosophy a little more softly in the future?
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi,

it has been discussed a lot, sorry i can't find other threads, but wouldn't a sort button or some resolve the problem?
-sort by date/time
-sort by joinable/non-joinable
and after, extend it to other stuff :
-sort by era...
this way players would be able to have new games on top or on the bottom regarding their preference.
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

Yeh they'd be good ideas, to help people find games they want.

But what should the order of "general browsing be?"
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hey, that's a fast answer!

Well, if the button is visible enough, you can let the lobby the way it is... isn't it?
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel