wesnoth time

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
mameluke

wesnoth time

Post by mameluke »

Just had this idea and think it's worth mentioning it.

Add a feature to the game that shows the actual time on wesnoth.
This could e.g. be in the main menu or so.
Could also be shown on the page somewhere.

The wesnoth time as I understand it could e.g. be the UTC+X (where X is not variable and has to be defined ;-) ).
But it could also be something more fancy that is easy to convert back to our global time.

Why this is cool:
* People can agree for sessions in multiplayer or chat at a specific wesnoth time.
* This would automatically be the standard time to use.
* We know how late it is in the wesmere forest :P

I know that this feature is not really necessary, and the chance that I will implement it is quite low.
Take this idea if you wish :-)
Last edited by mameluke on November 27th, 2008, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
Peter the Great

Re: wesnoth time

Post by Peter the Great »

Interesting idea, would definitely be a cool to have a standard time for Wesnoth, but which "time zone"/"special time unit" would be used?
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

How about Internet time?
bert1

Post by bert1 »

I think it's a nice idea. I suggested it once, but I was a lone voice in the wilderness. Weldyn Mean Time, perhaps.
Good is simply that which is willed. - Eugene Halliday
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

AI wrote:How about Internet time?
A day in Wesnoth is divided into 6 parts of equal length. You cannot do this with Swatch time. :P
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

sound like a good idea to me. The question is, how hard would it be to do?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The thing is, that introducing people to the concept of "Wesnoth time" and getting everyone to use it might be hard.

So how about this counter-proposal: when someone types in a time in a chat message in a recognized format, (like 4:00pm or 18:00) the game could automatically display a conversion to local time to all recipients.

So I say "maybe we could play at 4:00pm" then you would see something like "maybe we could play at 4:00pm (9:00pm local time)"

The format could also recognize time zone specifiers. So if I say "maybe we could play at 4:00pm GMT" it would realize that I mean 4:00pm GMT, and not 4:00pm in my time zone, and so would convert appropriately.

This would have the advantage of not requiring so much new user 'training'. It'd "just work".

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Dave wrote:So I say "maybe we could play at 4:00pm" then you would see something like "maybe we could play at 4:00pm (9:00pm local time)"

The format could also recognize time zone specifiers. So if I say "maybe we could play at 4:00pm GMT" it would realize that I mean 4:00pm GMT, and not 4:00pm in my time zone, and so would convert appropriately.

This would have the advantage of not requiring so much new user 'training'. It'd "just work".

David
I like that idea a lot! However, there might be some confusion when times spill over into other days. In particular with large differences in timezones. Adding a datestamp might be a little overkill, but I'm not sure what else can be done about it?
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
roadkill

Post by roadkill »

ahh timezones are a pain in the butt.

I think the only way to do this would be daves simple solution.

And where it matter about turning up to a game on time (like a tournament) it should be specifically stated in the tournament rules to makesure you know when to log on.

Maby on the main wesnoth website a "server time" would be a good idea. It'll give players a universal clock to go by so no confusion can arise & people can be certain about the website clock.

I don't think using internet time would be a good idea, will make life very difficult to plan, eg... how do you know in how many hours & minutes time you game will be in without breaking out the calculator?
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

In favor of Daves solution. :!:
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Is wesnoth time anything like Miller Time? Because if it is, I'm in favour for that option.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.