Computer Players instead of Local Players

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
LezzerLord

Computer Players instead of Local Players

Post by LezzerLord »

When you start a local game, all the players (except you) is Local Players. Instead this should be Computer Players. When you play versus the AI, you often wants to gogogo, but while playing versus a Local Player (Hotseat), you usually check everything so that both (or more) player likes it. In 1.1, it used to be "Play against the Computer" and "Hotseat", which (I believe) was removed in 1.2 or something like that, and I don't propose to return that, but rather that the default is Computer Players instead of Local Players.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Computer Players instead of Local Players

Post by Ken_Oh »

Been brought up several times before, like here: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18076

Just hasn't been addressed yet. I totally agree, by the way.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

it seems pretty trivial. Also, I don't think wanting to "gogogo" is a reason to change *anything* about Wesnoth. But for what it's worth, I prefer it as is, since when I play a local game I am very often testing something and I don't want any computer players.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Maybe the best idea would be for each side to default to whatever it was set to last (meaning side time that side existed as a player side, not just last game).
mrmoose

Post by mrmoose »

Why is this relevant? how long does it take to just switch it manually from local to computer?
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Pretty long if you forget to switch the fields before starting the game.
Lord_Aether

Post by Lord_Aether »

Ken_Oh wrote:Pretty long if you forget to switch the fields before starting the game.
Yeah. I wish they would at least default to whatever was before. Done this _many_ times... :roll:
mrmoose

Post by mrmoose »

U could always just droid the side right?
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

I'm in favor of this. It really does make it more convenient for what I think is the majority of players.
Mica

Post by Mica »

It's a minor issue really, but if it's not too much trouble it'd be nice to have.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

mrmoose wrote:U could always just droid the side right?
Yes. Which is very useful. But maybe a default could be set in Preferences? That would fix any issue of people preferring it one way or another. Then again, it means more work, which means even less likely to get implemented. Unless you want to do it yourself! :wink:
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

We used to have a separate menu item for playing vs. AI in the Multiplayer menu.
It was removed a long time ago by Soliton, IIRC.
I predicted that eventually some people would come along and complain about it.
Yup. You could ask him to put it back in if you miss it. ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
fareley

Post by fareley »

what about an option to save your prefered settings?
some people may nearly always play vs AI, some people nearly always use it only to test sth
some people don't like red colour when playing a local game
some people change their maps only from time to time and will be very thankful if they don't have to pick their favourite race/leader from about 50 possibilities (especially when using more than default era)

afaik the games saves the map settings and offers them next time you play. Why not the same for the menu where you chose your race, starting point, colour etc?
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Sapient wrote:We used to have a separate menu item for playing vs. AI in the Multiplayer menu.
I suggest you check your facts. :wink:
Sapient wrote:I predicted that eventually some people would come along and complain about it.
I did not like the change so much myself but since I usually want local players for testing as Wintermute mentioned I don't care much.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Soliton wrote:
Sapient wrote:We used to have a separate menu item for playing vs. AI in the Multiplayer menu.
I suggest you check your facts. :wink:
Sapient wrote:I predicted that eventually some people would come along and complain about it.
I did not like the change so much myself but since I usually want local players for testing as Wintermute mentioned I don't care much.
O.K. sorry I don't remember who made the change, then. For some reason the word "Soliton" was in memory. I'm too lazy to track down the actual revision right now.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."