Skip Replay

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Post Reply
LonKaer
Posts: 8
Joined: October 1st, 2008, 3:33 am
Location: Indiana - USA

Skip Replay

Post by LonKaer » October 1st, 2008, 11:12 pm

Would it ever be possible to add a "skip replay" option while observing a game on the official server? In longer games where disconnections occur, it would be nice to be able to get right back into the game instead of having to watch the entire replay. Even with quick replays, it can take a while to get through 40 turns.

Sangel
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 2232
Joined: March 26th, 2004, 10:58 pm
Location: New York, New York

Re: Skip Replay

Post by Sangel » October 2nd, 2008, 3:01 am

A Developer can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Wesnoth does not send a "current state of the game" to players when they join it; it only keeps track of a replay file (and sends that). Thus, when you join a game, your copy of Wesnoth needs to run through the replay turn-by-turn to calculate the current state of the game. Even on a fast computer, this takes time - thus why there is a "fast replay" option, rather than a "skip replay" option.

To have a "skip replay" option, Wesnoth would need to feed the "current state of the game" to players when they join, rather than just the automatically maintained replay file; this would take significant code changes.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

User avatar
zookeeper
WML Wizard
Posts: 9740
Joined: September 11th, 2004, 10:40 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Skip Replay

Post by zookeeper » October 2nd, 2008, 6:06 am

There is the "fast replays" checkbox in the lobby, but IIRC it still doesn't skip all animations that it should.

I'm sure it'd be useful if someone wrote a list of things it's currently not skipping/accelerating as it should.

PingPangQui
Posts: 267
Joined: July 18th, 2006, 11:52 am

Re: Skip Replay

Post by PingPangQui » October 2nd, 2008, 12:38 pm

Would it significantly help (speedwise) if the replay was set in background (i.e. saving calculations regarding graphics, except of maybe showing the turn number)?
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.

Sangel
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 2232
Joined: March 26th, 2004, 10:58 pm
Location: New York, New York

Re: Skip Replay

Post by Sangel » October 2nd, 2008, 5:59 pm

PingPangQui wrote:Would it significantly help (speedwise) if the replay was set in background (i.e. saving calculations regarding graphics, except of maybe showing the turn number)?
I can see that being useful on slower computers. Of course, you'd have to have some kind of feedback window for the player to show the computer's progress in running through the reply. Perhaps a dialog window over a greyed out map with text reading "Replaying Turn 1..." etc.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

User avatar
Wintermute
Inactive Developer
Posts: 840
Joined: March 23rd, 2006, 10:28 pm
Location: On IRC as "happygrue" at: #wesnoth-mp

Re: Skip Replay

Post by Wintermute » October 2nd, 2008, 6:15 pm

as a workaround, remember that you can set "accelerated speed" in the preferences. You could, for example, max that out before watching a long replay and then set it back to a more normal setting once you are in-game. Also, it helps to have "skip AI moves" turned on as well.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."

Yogibear
Retired Developer
Posts: 1086
Joined: September 16th, 2005, 5:44 am
Location: Hamburg, Germany

Re: Skip Replay

Post by Yogibear » October 2nd, 2008, 7:02 pm

Sangel wrote:A Developer can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Wesnoth does not send a "current state of the game" to players when they join it; it only keeps track of a replay file (and sends that). Thus, when you join a game, your copy of Wesnoth needs to run through the replay turn-by-turn to calculate the current state of the game. Even on a fast computer, this takes time - thus why there is a "fast replay" option, rather than a "skip replay" option.

To have a "skip replay" option, Wesnoth would need to feed the "current state of the game" to players when they join, rather than just the automatically maintained replay file; this would take significant code changes.
I wrote most of the quick replay functionality and what you say is correct. The only thing that i am not sure about is the reason why we don't send the gamestate to the server. Actually that isn't very difficult to do, in fact we already do it as we place the starting state on the server. IIRC, it is an issue of bandwidth why we are not sending a complete state to the server every turn.
PingPangQui wrote: Would it significantly help (speedwise) if the replay was set in background (i.e. saving calculations regarding graphics, except of maybe showing the turn number)?
It would help, but not significantly. By far the most time consuming stuff is the animations and those are cancelled with quick replays. The reason i didn't cancel the screen refresh after a side turn as well was to give you an impression where you are at the moment. However, one screen refresh doesn't take much time, so you won't notice a considerable difference if we skipped that, too.

@zookeeper, everyone:
There shouldn't be *any* graphical updates in between a side turn. If that is the case, please let me know.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!

User avatar
A Guy
Posts: 790
Joined: May 24th, 2008, 1:55 am

Re: Skip Replay

Post by A Guy » October 2nd, 2008, 9:54 pm

I suggested this, but Noy felt the need to bash me for it.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.

MDG
Posts: 378
Joined: June 7th, 2007, 11:18 am
Location: UK

Re: Skip Replay

Post by MDG » October 2nd, 2008, 10:21 pm

A Guy wrote:I suggested this, but Noy felt the need to bash me for it.
You mean this? Seems more annoyed you didn't use the search function and SHOUTED as well...

User avatar
Wintermute
Inactive Developer
Posts: 840
Joined: March 23rd, 2006, 10:28 pm
Location: On IRC as "happygrue" at: #wesnoth-mp

Re: Skip Replay

Post by Wintermute » October 2nd, 2008, 10:57 pm

Yogi Bear wrote: @zookeeper, everyone:
There shouldn't be *any* graphical updates in between a side turn. If that is the case, please let me know.
AFAICT, what is happening is that quick replay works pretty quickly, but only goes up until about the "current" turn when the player joins the game. That works fine in most cases AFAIK, but it is a problem for some of the survival games and other UMC, because there might be LOTS of AI moves, with lots of AI sides, and then players moving a few units. So what can end up happening is that you skip 60 (sometimes less, sometimes 120) turns, or what have you, pretty quickly but then in the 2 minutes it took to do that, the players are playing quickly (and not seeing most of the AI moves), while the person in replay watches lots of AI moves and may end up watching another 10-20 turns (in close to real time - which can take quite a bit longer than all the turns that were skipped, given all the AI moves and maybe clicking through dialogue) until they really catch back up.

Now, in a 'normal' game this only takes another minute or so to watch the turn and a half that has been played since joining the game. I may not really be describing things correctly, so someone can feel free to correct me if something else is going on.
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."

User avatar
A Guy
Posts: 790
Joined: May 24th, 2008, 1:55 am

Re: Skip Replay

Post by A Guy » October 2nd, 2008, 10:59 pm

MDG wrote:
A Guy wrote:I suggested this, but Noy felt the need to bash me for it.
You mean this? Seems more annoyed you didn't use the search function and SHOUTED as well...
I used the search function, but was unlucky enough to not know that it was broken.
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.

Post Reply