New Unit- Bomber

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Omndra King

New Unit- Bomber

Post by Omndra King »

This unit is a guy carring a barrel and when he attacks he explodes... and dies
He would have a really powerfull suicide attack (25-1) and maybe a wimpy knife attack (2-2)
he would also have no Zone of Control

the suicide thing could be part of an effect that only he has or something.
he could be added to Dwarfs or Loyalists.
Best Fighting Game EVER !!Toribash!!!
Trau

Re: New Unit- Bomber

Post by Trau »

A. 25-1 isn't a very powerful attack at all, considering a mere spearman can do 21 damage (7-3)in a melee without suiciding.

B. Why would this new unit make the game better? What hole in the knalgan or loyalist roster would this unit fill?
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

I could see this as a UMC material thing. Maybe for elves?

Sage of Light
MP: 8
HP: 35
Skirmisher
Melee Attack: Staff 3-2
Melee Attack: Lightbeam (arcane, magical, final) 40-1...maybe utilize accuracy bonus? 80%?
An elf who has become so close to the light that they can summon a great amount of its power, but at the cost of consuming their own life.

Just stuck these stats out there. No clue about balance, except for damage.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

CarpeGuitarrem wrote:I could see this as a UMC material thing. Maybe for elves?

Sage of Light
MP: 8
HP: 35
Skirmisher
Melee Attack: Staff 3-2
Melee Attack: Lightbeam (arcane, magical, final) 40-1...maybe utilize accuracy bonus? 80%?
An elf who has become so close to the light that they can summon a great amount of its power, but at the cost of consuming their own life.

Just stuck these stats out there. No clue about balance, except for damage.
But that doesn't give any reason to have experience at all, for that you just may create very fast units whole sole purpose is to "do" an action, like a Spell, and die fast, being the chance of being succesful be the Chance to hit.

So as example, an unit that upon successful strike gives its target swarm until end of turn, will make the targetted unit easy to take down, it may give "doom" an inversed steadfast, etc.

Being the Speed of the unit the range of effect.

I tought it would have been a decent idea, but then I found that the implementation isn't very good (you have summoned units near you that could take villages, take your gold, etc.) and also made the game too similar to other games. In the end I ditched the idea.

If you would want to do a faction of these "spells" you will find that they mostly would work like devlings and from these to the "devling nailer", tought it may be a fun idea for a faction in which the main character is only launching spells against its opponents instead of summoning.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Trau wrote:A. 25-1 isn't a very powerful attack at all, considering a mere spearman can do 21 damage (7-3)in a melee without suiciding.
Presumably this would be a cheap Level 0 unit - say, 6-7 gold as opposed to 14 for the Spearman.

Loyallists don't have gunpowder so this unit would only make sense for the Knalgans. (He could be magic, but it would be hard to justify a cheap gold cost in that case).

I have a unit that does this in the Free Goblins, but in that case it's a secondary ability rather than the unit's raison d'etre.
F50

Post by F50 »

not magical, but marksman.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

This smacks of the Goblin Demolition team in Warcraft. They're used to simply blow up. Also the "good guys" had the Dwarven Demolition as a counter. They were mainly used to blow up rock obstacles.

Another factor you should think about is 'what if they're attacked first". They're wearing explosives for pete's sake. That would be a limiting factor in recruiting such a unit and maybe make it seem more "doable" for the doubters out there.

Perhaps a better use for this would be as a "terrain altering" unit. Perhaps they could blow themselves up to clear out some trees, a mountain hex, or a castle hex. Perhaps on roads and grass they make impassible craters?

I don't know if that is possible, the ability to alter terrain. Will a progammer say if it is or not?
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Terrain altering is very doable, see A New Land and the like.
Omndra King

Post by Omndra King »

Edward V Riley wrote:This smacks of the Goblin Demolition team in Warcraft. They're used to simply blow up. Also the "good guys" had the Dwarven Demolition as a counter. They were mainly used to blow up rock obstacles.

Another factor you should think about is 'what if they're attacked first". They're wearing explosives for pete's sake. That would be a limiting factor in recruiting such a unit and maybe make it seem more "doable" for the doubters out there.

Perhaps a better use for this would be as a "terrain altering" unit. Perhaps they could blow themselves up to clear out some trees, a mountain hex, or a castle hex. Perhaps on roads and grass they make impassible craters?

I don't know if that is possible, the ability to alter terrain. Will a progammer say if it is or not?
The whole what if its attacked first is what would make Strategy for this unit interesting. also i think that it shouldn't move very fast. the terrain altering effect would make this guy more powerful than he needs to be... Also i have read some of the comments on how weak he is so maybe it should be like this... he has 25 attack points that will hit like a spell (70% chance of hitting). or you could buy a more expensive lv.2 Bomber that does 40 or 50 damage. it would be like a knight with less chance of missing ... but has no chance of survival.

(P.S. I ripped this off of the bomber guys in Age of Empires)