Statistics per unit

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Statistics per unit

Post by irrevenant »

zookeeper wrote:The "unit stats" would/should be an item in the context menu just like all the others (rename unit, unit description), not put in the right panel.
I don't think it's an important enough option to be displayed in such a prominent place - over to the right out of the way seems more reasonable.

But I'm not that fussed one way or the other.
revolushn

Post by revolushn »

I agree with Viliam. (and others)

I don't care too much about the luck in the game. It's there. It's kinda cool. And I guess it would be interesting to know if one 'lucky' unit hapened to survive right from the second scenario in the campaign without me having to remember his name.

But yes it should be stated after the scenario just how lucky it was after the scenario (or the campaign). All power to the possibility of savable stats at the end of the campaign ;)

Yes: seeing what a particular unit has killed throughout the scenario/campaign would be great - Go for glory! Oddly though it might create some odd stats where someone like a shaman has accrued alot more kills than a fighter due to 'stealing' the kills towards the end of a combat round. Both may be L3 but the fighter has gained most of that exp from defense and the odd attack whereas the healer has got a few cheap kills boosting it quickly.

Would still be cool to see though

Of course I would like to be able to have something at the end of the campaign that I can send to someone that actually says "This unit killed this. Ended up with this many hitpoints and exp. Engaged in XY battles. Survived for XY scenarios. Is a legend that should forever be remembered" etc

:) :)
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Dave wrote:It would be nice to have unit histories to personalize units though. I would love a unit log like,

"Heldred was recalled on turn 4 of the Isle of Anduin. He fought in eight fights, took 24 damage, and inflicted 28 damage. He earned 28 experience points, and was promoted from spearman to swordsman."

...and so on.

David
I approve of this, and is a nice touch for the rpg gamers with a character that is evolving and gives like a diary of its adventures.

"... And so I Killed it."

However there are a few problems that may appear with the stories.

"Unit advance to itself" (it could end having too many promotions) unless the story only tells how he started and then tells his last achievement. (Jhon was a simply woodsman but with hard work and dedication ended on the ranks of the master bowmen in the army)

If it tells how many units killed, it could generate a long name of units (only if there is a lot of opposition)

Example, so he killed a naga, a nagini, 3 dwarfs he found in the road, and ambushed to death a goblin rouser in the forest"

Good tihng is that if in some future there are a statistics screen at the end of the game/level it could have things like "Player X best unit was...", Most unit killed belongs to... like on worms armaggedon. (the unit could even be displaying a victory animation for being named)

The most Berserker (the unit that attacked without dying with the lower amount of hp before the attack) or such.

Still is something nice, tought is should taken into account that the impact this have on the game is mostly flavor gains more than useability. (drakes usually would get more pounded than elusive units)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Something like this would be a lot of fun. It would be cool, too, if after you won the campaign you could browse through your army, reading the "bios" of who survived, who died, etc. Sure, it would just be flavor, but IMO it would be a lot of fun.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

turin wrote:Something like this would be a lot of fun. It would be cool, too, if after you won the campaign you could browse through your army, reading the "bios" of who survived, who died, etc. Sure, it would just be flavor, but IMO it would be a lot of fun.
It also could have a brief introduction of the character on his youth (to represent traits if he has any) like on the ending on princess maker 2, in which the young girl send a letter to you talking about his infancy and what it did all that time. (why its strong, or dextrous, etc.)

Also it can be included on the bios, and add a little more of variation on the stories :p
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

I like this idea too for the same reasons. It's just extra fun for those who like statistics. I also like Irrevenant's idea to add # of kills to the character as well.

You could go further with the kills and have listed what type units the character "finished off", but that may be a bit too much.

When I proposed this idea back in August 07, I got the same reasonings on why not..but I also got some supporters as well. DDR and Villiam stood out if I recall...Think I'll go find that thread and post the link.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... &sk=t&sd=a
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Viliam wrote:It would be nice to view detailed statistics/logs per unit, but I think the right place for this is after the scenario (also after multiplayer game), or through some submenu. Displaying information which does not influence player's strategy is IMHO wrong. Especially for new players, it is distracting. I would prefer to see only the information that I need to see. There is already too much relevant information.

Also I am afraid such statistics would just bring more people complaining that the random number generator is broken, and having a "proof" for it.

In the the unit log, I would like to see how many units of which type it has killed. Seeing that "this Elvish Commander has killed 5 Orcs, 3 Orcish Warlords, 13 Walking Corpses, and 4 Adepts" would make me proud. ;-)
I, too, think the random number generators, that all games seem to use, does have flaws, but as far as Wesnoth is concerned, it just helps me to be a better strategist.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows