Directional facing graphics should be removed

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Re: Directional facing graphics should be removed

Post by Neoskel »

Syntax_Error wrote:if there was an option for turning them off, it would be grand indeed.
It is just art, switching all the north facing frames tobe the same as the south facing frames wouldn't cause OOS errors.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Elvish fighter. The rear facing frames are deceptively wide, mainly due to the proportions used by wesnoth units - the big head makes the back seem very wide, when actually it's quite narrow.

The unit's recognisable by its equipment and colouring - the pale, sabre-bladed sword, the shield, the headband - all of these identify the unit in its front facing, why is it so difficult to note them in another one?

Though on the flip side, that is a relatively easily identifiable unit - the number of TC cloaks around on various units will change the game a little...

I have to say, despite that, i support this project - more the n-e attacking frames than the standing ones, but the whole thing adds graphical polish. The other major issue to my mind is that this substantially increases the already taxing demands on UMC artwork - bringing it fully in line with mainline content when the project is complete will require almost double the amount of frames, and it's hard enough for mainline to get enough artists to do the job, let alone UMC authors...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Neoskel wrote:
Syntax_Error wrote:if there was an option for turning them off, it would be grand indeed.
It is just art, switching all the north facing frames tobe the same as the south facing frames wouldn't cause OOS errors.
an option that is not currently possible via GUI is not an option.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

thespaceinvader wrote:I have to say, despite that, i support this project - more the n-e attacking frames than the standing ones
I'm pretty sure everybody agrees with different facings for the attack animations - it's just the standing frames some of us have doubts about.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

If the boardgame art shift project gets done, then there could be a lighter Wesnoth. Heck it could even be put inside the game and get a butoon to toggle the art. Of course, i demand epic poses for this (think napoleonic and viking).
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004