attack types and ranges

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
idanwin

attack types and ranges

Post by idanwin »

Types:
-Blade
-Impact
-Pierce
-Cold
-Arcane
-Fire

Ideas:
-Lightning (against water-animals/plants, for magicians AO)
-Mind
-Water (against Fire monsters, for the Mermaid Siren branch AO)

Ranges:
-Melee
-Ranged

Ideas:
-Longrange (can also counterattack Ranged (maybe this is merely an ability?))
-Mind (not physically)
~Idanwin
Life is short, I can make it even shorter...
Gallery ~ Contrib:Idanwin (21)
F50

Re: attack types and ranges

Post by F50 »

water and lightning already exist (I think). Delfador uses lightning, no one has resistance/vulnerability to it I think. Check the Mermaid initiate for water.
idanwin

Post by idanwin »

water and lightning already exist (I think). Delfador uses lightning, no one has resistance/vulnerability to it I think. Check the Mermaid initiate for water.
Delfador uses Fire for his lightning attack. And the mermaids use impact for their 'Water Spray'-attack.

Lightning was already proposed, but I mentioned it here to complete the list (a bit).
no one has resistance/vulnerability
If it isn't mentioned that means the unit has 100% resistance against it (the damage is always reduced to 1)
And it isn't! Delfadors attack is too strong (I like that actually, makes campaigns with him much easier!)
~Idanwin
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Everything suggested here is completely possible in the game. You just have to make an era that includes them all.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

idanwin wrote:If it isn't mentioned that means the unit has 100% resistance against it (the damage is always reduced to 1)
And it isn't! Delfadors attack is too strong (I like that actually, makes campaigns with him much easier!)
This was changed, now the default resistance for unknown damage types is 0, so 100% damage.
idanwin

Post by idanwin »

Oops! :oops: It was like that in 1.2.8
Last edited by idanwin on May 1st, 2008, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Idanwin
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

It is something that is perfectly supported by the engine and some part of it were implemented in usermade-eras.

Btw, for mainline it is not wanted : we want to keep our rules simple, we feel that 2 ranges and 6 damage types is enough.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
idanwin

Post by idanwin »

Well still the 'Water Spray'-attack should (In my opinion) not be impact but ... Water. (seems logic to me; so it won't be included!)
The lightning seems even more logic (Lightning+Merfolk=Merfolk Ahes; 'Lightning that counts as fire'+Merfolk=Fishsticks! :P )
Nothing of this will be included! I asure you; I'm fighting a battle that has already lost. But I will not give up!!! (yet)
It is something that is perfectly supported by the engine and some part of it were implemented in usermade-eras.
I know but I'm I'm collecting these ideas (+my ideas) in one topic. And trying to get some of them in Mainline.
Last edited by idanwin on May 2nd, 2008, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Idanwin
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

You do understand that fighting for something you yourself know as a lost battle isn't the smartest of things, right? Just accept that your ideas will only be implemented in UM eras and let it go.
Take a breath.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It seems perfectly logical to me that water is impact when it deals damage by pounding things to bits. This isn't like poke'mon where having a plant on you back suddenly makes you less vunerable to 100+ pounds/square inch of water power.

Reading over what I just posted, I just had the somewhat scary thought of just how well pokemon could be implimented in wenoth.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Try to find reasons why these extra attacks and ranges would make gameplay more interesting. As a rule of the thumb, balance and gameplay come first, and it is not too difficult to find a reason why any plausible set of rules is realistic. It's fantasy, you can interpret things pretty much any way you want.

For a start, I'd recommend looking at the Era of Myths. That already had the Mind attack type. You might be able to put together a good argument from that.

This, however, is not a good argument:
idawin wrote:
Somehow things I think of as logic never get included in wesnoth:
Wesnoth is not about logic, it's about balance. Locked
Wesnoth doesn't have to be realistic, it has to be balanced! Locked[/quote]
At the moment, you appear to have no intention of being taken seriously by the developers. Which is a little counter-productive if you're trying to get an idea in Mainline.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

That's already been long done away with. Therians used to have many mental range attacks, and other factions had a few, it also had serveral more damage types. These were all done aways with to make it compatible with mainline.

As it is custom ranges/damage types are easily dealt with.

Any damage type that isn't standard your enemy automaticaly has exactly 0 resitance
Any range that isn't melee or ranged can only be retaliated against with another attack with the same range value.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Noyga wrote:It is something that is perfectly supported by the engine and some part of it were implemented in usermade-eras.

Btw, for mainline it is not wanted : we want to keep our rules simple, we feel that 2 ranges and 6 damage types is enough.
Kudos on keeping thing simple - nobody likes to read a 100 page manual to play a game.
However, I'd say you shouldn't make it TOO simple. I'd say that basic damage types are a very simple and intuitive thing - even a child knows lightning/electricity and fire aren't the same. :eng:
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

TrashMan wrote:
Noyga wrote:It is something that is perfectly supported by the engine and some part of it were implemented in usermade-eras.

Kudos on keeping thing simple - nobody likes to read a 100 page manual to play a game.
However, I'd say you shouldn't make it TOO simple. I'd say that basic damage types are a very simple and intuitive thing - even a child knows lightning/electricity and fire aren't the same. :eng:
But the pathophysiology of injury done are. :wink: Both burn. :P
Take a breath.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

The problem with having to many damage types is that it makes resistances too inefective basically if you have an unit that is resisten to one damage type, it will be trounced by any other type. (it would look like it doesn't have any resistance at all)

And yes, pokemon would be rather easy to adapt on the wesnoth universe/gameplay and probably would be more fun than the original game, but then you would have copyright issues...

And your opponent would call you a cheater for bringing out a second pokemon :P

IMHO there is a lot of things you could adapt the engine of wesnoth, but most of these "Oh so great ideas" apart of not being very novel (since most people just simply take things from copyrighted material instead of coming up with something new) is that they also would need a ton of ART to look midly decent, and that's a lot of work ahead.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."