Concentration of means and forces

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
mamadu.bwana

Concentration of means and forces

Post by mamadu.bwana »

I love the game, which I have just discovered, but there one thing I which the game had: the ability to concentrate "means and forces". Here is what I mean:

If side "A" has its units deployed into a semi-circle (like a "U" letter) and side "B" decides, for whatever reason, to move inside the half circle and attack the unit at the bottom of the "U", only the attacked unit will be able to respond at the moment of attack. Of course, as soon as it is turn of "A" all the units will be able to attack the B unit. However, by then the attacked unit might be destroyed. In real warfare, ALL the A units within the half-circle would immediately attack the B unit which might come under so heavy attack that it might itself be destroyed before completing the destruction of the A unit at the bottom of the semi-circle. The bottom line is this:

I think that it would be useful to make it possible (at least as an option) for ALL the units adjacent to an attacking hex to immediately counterattack together and simultaneously.

My modest 2cts.

Mamadu
CarpeGuitarrem

Re: Concentration of means and forces

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

WINR, firstly. In real-life warfare, combat is not turn-based. This is actually a direct result of that.

On the other hand, this would be an interesting ability for a unit to have.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
michchar

Post by michchar »

i think i would add to the strategic portion of wesnoth if it were an ability, but that also might lead to unit spams and we all hate unit spams.
Gauteamus
Translator

Post by Gauteamus »

Wesnoth Is Not Reality, but from the game-mechanic Point of View, the only units capable of moving into the U in the first place are units with the Skirmisher ability (unless the U is made up from level-0s in which case nothing much changes). Those skirmishing units are just the units "realistically" capable of dodging the flanking attacks (ZoC in game terms) of the units on the ends of the U. I don't see the need for an "anti-skirmisher" ability not covered by already existing game mechanics (ZoC no longer strictly tied to level 1+) (does ambushing units stop movement of skirmishing units).
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

If the unit starts from the opening of the U, it can move into the U on it's next turn. Which would be really stupid in most cases.
mamadu.bwana

Post by mamadu.bwana »

Neoskel wrote:If the unit starts from the opening of the U, it can move into the U on it's next turn. Which would be really stupid in most cases.
well yes, sure, I just used this extreme example to illustrate my point. in reality it would apply to a situation where, for example, two A units would be next to each other but only one (the weaker one by the AI rules) would be attacked. happens to me several times in each scenario.

and yes, I know that BfW is not about realistic warfare; I just think that this would be a neat option to have.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

HAPMA - Hexes Are Possibly Miles Across ;)
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

All the units in the adjoining hexes will have the chance to get their own back on their turn.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Well, from a gameplay standpoint, this would heavily reward defensive playing. Seeing as how in Wesnoth it takes about 2-3 turns/unit to kill a foe, this would make games more stagnant or more hopeless by punishing counter-attacks in a more harsh way.
Gauteamus wrote:Those skirmishing units are just the units "realistically" capable of dodging the flanking attacks (ZoC in game terms) of the units on the ends of the U.
I love it when mechanics are used to explain Wesnoth consistently in itself.

*hands over e-cookie*
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:*hands over e-cookie*
*steals it*
<chomp>
Uh, that was yummy. :mrgreen:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

It's a good idea, it's just not a good idea for Wesnoth.

Wesnoth is more like a board game than it is like an RTS. This change would result in a good game that is no longer Wesnoth.