Button size and hotkeys

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
jrockinl

Button size and hotkeys

Post by jrockinl »

I am not sure where this item belongs, but "ideas" seemed to fit best.

Could the buttons used throughout the game be made bigger? Maybe take the window size into account when calculating height and width of a button. Do to the 1600x1200 resolution I use, I like to use acceleration on a mouse, and it is not easy to get to the button on first or second try because they are not very tall.

Buttons I find myself using quite a bit are:
End Turn
Damage Calculation (attack)
OK (attack)
Cancel (attack)

Buttons on setting up multiplayer games are small too, but I am generally in the area needed so my mouse is not moving fast/far enough to cause problems. But if the above idea would be implemented, it should probably be all buttons.

Another reason I ask is my younger son (6yr) is not so good with his mouse control yet and doesn't really grasp hot-keys yet.

And along those lines, does Damage Calculation have a hot-key? Ok and Cancel attack use the pretty obvious <enter> and <esc>, but I don't know the calculation one.
Unnheulu

Re: Button size and hotkeys

Post by Unnheulu »

jrockinl wrote:End Turn
You can do Ctrl+Space
jrockinl wrote:Damage Calculation (attack)
Dunno about this one
jrockinl wrote:OK (attack)
Enter
jrockinl wrote:Cancel (attack)
Dunno
200g

Post by 200g »

You can use a lower resolution like 1024x768 and hit '0' on your keyboard to zoom out/in. maybe this helps.
And to complete xer's list: Cancel an attack by hitting escape.

I never played Wesnoth on high resolutions so I can't say anything about the idea itself.
If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out.
hunz

Post by hunz »

You can change your screen resolution.

Or, hope that someone implement a system for buttons and screens sizes based on percentage.
I bet this wouldn't happen because if you use a higher resolution (at least on my concept) is to have a bigger working-area. And, by the way this will make buttons and texts and etc a bit smaller.
governor

Post by governor »

For now, I recommend playing in windowed mode and using a smaller resolution.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

jrockinl wrote:Maybe take the window size into account when calculating height and width of a button. Due to the 1600x1200 resolution I use, I like to use acceleration on a mouse, and it is not easy to get to the button on first or second try because they are not very tall.
The workarounds are good, but the idea itself seems good, too. There's a minimum size you want buttons to be as a percentage of the screen size.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

irrevenant wrote:The workarounds are good, but the idea itself seems good, too. There's a minimum size you want buttons to be as a percentage of the screen size.
Agreed. One of the minor problems of the trend towards higher and higher resolutions has been the shrinking physical size of UI elements. Most operating systems have ways to counter this, but many programs (including Wesnoth) don't. Some kind of "UI size" option would be great, but I imagine it would be quite some work to implement. Maybe "Small" (current size), "Medium" (double) and "Large" (triple?) would work?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry