Lobby should beep if your nick is mentioned

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
grrr

Lobby should beep if your nick is mentioned

Post by grrr »

Since the future development of Wesnoth lobby aims at making xchat obsolete I figure ideas to improve the lobby are always welcome, right?

OK, so what about making the client beep (or play a short wesnothian sound piece) when your nick is mentioned in lobby chat? Xchat, for example, highlights tabs & msg line. No seriously, the lobby already HAS some sound support (player leaving/joining), i just don't think it is that helpful yet.
paris

Post by paris »

very nice idea and yes i think its easy to accomplished:
or not?
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

good idea, it's join my idea about time in chat line in lobby, but yours is great :D
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
CarpeGuitarrem

Post by CarpeGuitarrem »

I like this. I don't know how easy it is in reality to implement...but it's a good idea. Especially if there's a lot of people in the lobby. And the ears burning indicator doesn't work online, I don't think.
Glory in Blood...Needs Programming Help!

If you have time, check out my ongoing serial story...
The Hidden: Secrets of the Future's Past
tsr

Post by tsr »

I agree, and there is a FR for it :)

/tsr
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

However, there's a problem with this idea. 'f course, basically the idea is good and shouldn't be too hard to implement, but what do you do if people never call you by your nickname? As an example, my name, Clonkinator. In the lobby I also am named Clonkinator. However, since that is quite a long name I'm often just called Clonk or Clonki. How would that be handled?
paris

Post by paris »

Not a problem..people would knew it and if you dont answer can use your whole nick to make you pay attention
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

I say we turn the Wesnoth lobby into an IRC client =)
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

paris wrote:Not a problem..people would knew it and if you dont answer can use your whole nick to make you pay attention
Ah well... 8)
hagabaka

Post by hagabaka »

CIB wrote:I say we turn the Wesnoth lobby into an IRC client =)
Included with wesnoth source package is a Perl utility named wesnoth-mp-logger.pl, which connects to the lobby and logs the messages to a file or stdout. It wouldn't be hard to write a script to monitor lines from the output and do whatever, including beeping when your name is mentioned. It might be possible to extend it to an IRC proxy to wesnoth lobby too.
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

maybe there will be a minor problem that our dev can find:

when you are away from keyboard and you want to be "beep" when someone is calling you , you have to turn on UI sounds.... but there are so many "beep" when people log or leave the lobby, that this can be very annoying for us to hear all this sounds?....

maybe "beep" sound shall be seperate from the others UI sound ( like the turn bell sound) or maybe just delete all log/leave lobby' sounds?... :wink:
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

( sorry for the double post)

I wanted to remind our dev that i post many sound here

So many of this sound could be nice for the "beep" or something else :wink:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

what if someone's nickname is "the," or "wesnoth"? That would get really annoying for them... <_<

I kinda think having a /ping user command would be useful though--
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Thrawn wrote:what if someone's nickname is "the," or "wesnoth"? That would get really annoying for them... <_<
Then they'd probably want to change their nick pretty fast.
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Thrawn wrote:what if someone's nickname is "the," or "wesnoth"? That would get really annoying for them... <_<

I kinda think having a /ping user command would be useful though--
Who would have names like that anyway? Its probably the same as if your name is the in IRC.