Tunneling through caves

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Darth Jordius

Tunneling through caves

Post by Darth Jordius »

I've always wanted a unit that could move through cave walls, but have never been able to find one that could realistically. Well, in EE, there are ants...couldn't they tunnel through the cave walls? Sure it would take a lot of movement, like they might be able to move through one cave wall hex a turn.

Another idea which is much more complicated (in my mind anyway), would be to create a dwarfish miner or something that could destroy cave walls, but of course this is extremely unrealistic as that would throw off the faction balance, and dwarfs are already about the most powerful. AND you'd have to make a terrain destroying unit. Anyway, just some ideas, hope this doesn't get locked before I can respond like my last idea.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Check out Quietus's Minotaurs!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I THINK this can already be done, but i'm not certain. It's definitely possible to dynamically alter terrain on-the-fly, but i'm not absolutely certain it's possible to do it at the player's command.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

thespaceinvader wrote:I THINK this can already be done, but i'm not certain. It's definitely possible to dynamically alter terrain on-the-fly, but i'm not absolutely certain it's possible to do it at the player's command.
That's what I was afraid of. At least you could try doing it in campaigns.
Quiz wrote:You are a Dwarvish Fighter. You're surly and handy with an axe. Go chop some trees.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Not only can this be done, it has been done. Wesnoth 1.0.2 had a user-made era which included four factions (Knalgan Alliance, Dark Elves, Northerners, Undead) and gave each a miner unit, which could tunnel through cave wall, and even move through it if it were only one space wide. Unfortunately, no one ever updated it for more recent versions of Wesnoth.

EDIT: added a few details
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Two good options:

1. Right-click menu. Select a miner, right-click on adjacent cavewall hex, choose "mine".

2. Have miners always mine the hex they are facing, if it's cavewall (use little markers that show which direction each miner is facing).

Fairly easy to implement.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I go for right-click-menu mining, one hex per miner turn.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Darth Jordius

Post by Darth Jordius »

Yeah, thanks zookeeper! Sounds good to me. I doubt it will ever turn up in default era, but maybe something like EE.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Oooh, like in Age of Wonders eh? Thats a good game.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

Not only was this a user made campaign, it was made by a user who has made quite a few contributions to Wesnoth:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=miners
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Caeb

Post by Caeb »

don't forget those lovable zolpha from A Gryphon's Tale... so fragile...
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

And with the question answered, and the point it will never see the light of day in mainline... another episode of "As the wesnoth forum turns" comes to a close.

click
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.