Reclothe the Rebels Magi?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Reclothe the Rebels Magi?

Post by irrevenant »

A recurring point of contention is "why is there a human mage in the (essentially Elven) Rebels faction?". (Which inevitably leads into the "'cos it's based on HttT","Well where are the horsemen, then?" debate). Some people have suggested just outright replacing the mage with an equivalent elven unit. (Which I personally oppose for a couple of reasons).

So here's a third option: Make a cosmetic change to the Magi in the Rebels faction. Minor enough that they're clearly still the same unit, but different enough to demonstrate that they have a different affiliation.

It might even be good to have affiliation overlays for a variety of different units.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Just take off the hood of the male mage, give them both pointy ears and recolour the cloak to green =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

thespaceinvader wrote:Just take off the hood of the male mage, give them both pointy ears and recolour the cloak to green =D
I wasn't suggesting that the race of the mage be changed - just that he be made to be a more woodsy-looking mage.

Just making the cloak green wouldn't work because the minor difference would apply to the entire line which is already colour-coded...
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

you migth want to have a look at the hair color changing event in the test scenario
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

irrevenant wrote: Just making the cloak green wouldn't work because the minor difference would apply to the entire line which is already colour-coded...
+ I think that the Green Mage should be some sort of summoner =)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Good point, i forget that the rest of the line is there...

Maybe not a cloak at all, then - not terribly practical forest wear after all... Maybe go for a tunic and trousers of the appropriate colour.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Maybe only change the first part of the line? Forest Mage or someting... Then he of course joins the mainstream orders when he promotes...

And if you do change the line, perhaps remove the white mage - elves have a better healer (and now better arcane doer) and the mage of light just helps the lawful units kill elves better :P
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

perhaps using hand/fist instead of staff, and having mildly torn robes?
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I personally think that trying something like this would be interesting--as it's like the different between make and female "units."

However, I think that changing them to look elvish would be better than changing them to look like woodsy humans.

All and all though, I don't see this becoming a priority soon (of course recognizing that idea's isn't FOR priorities XD)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

To me, human mages together with elves doesn't look a strange thing.
Btw i think the answer to your question is because the prerequisite for doing this is not met: no such unit is ready (you need different names, different background, different graphics, different stats...)
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Noyga wrote:Btw i think the answer to your question is because the prerequisite for doing this is not met: no such unit is ready (you need different names, different background, different graphics, different stats...)
That was not my intent. My intent was to indicate that it's the same unit - just with different affiliations and lifestyle. The factions are balanced just fine as they are.

I've attached an example of the sort of thing I was thinking of. Clearly the same unit but distinguishable.
Attachments
loyalist mage.png
loyalist mage.png (2.76 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
rebels mage.png
rebels mage.png (2.81 KiB) Viewed 3526 times
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

irrevenant wrote:My intent was to indicate that it's the same unit - just with different affiliations
TCOLOR ;-)

Seriously, I think this is much artist work, for very small game improvement. But if anyone wants to do it...
PingPangQui

Post by PingPangQui »

I actually like having the very same unit (not only according the stats) in different factions. If it was for me I would even mix them more, e.g. include the thief in the loyelists faction as well. I think having identical units in different factions, adds an interesiting aspect to the game, although it is not very important in most cases. In multiplayer games with fog turned on, one can not know which faction the oponent has in case only a mage has been spotted (it could be either loyelists or rebels).
The Clan Antagonist.

"Larry the Cow was a bit frustrated at the current state of Linux distributions (...) until he tried Gentoo Linux" - Free Software for free people.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

PingPangQui wrote:In multiplayer games with fog turned on, one can not know which faction the oponent has in case only a mage has been spotted (it could be either loyelists or rebels).
Ugh, that's a spectacularly good point that I hadn't thought of.

Disregard me...
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

PingPangQui wrote:In multiplayer games with fog turned on, one can not know which faction the oponent has in case only a mage has been spotted (it could be either loyelists or rebels).
Even more: in games without fog, when the leader is a (red or white) mage, before its first turn.