Orange/Red

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
IB

Orange/Red

Post by IB »

I find it hard to tell who owns what village with these two, the colours are too close. Would it be possible to change the orange to a lighter more yellowy orange?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

This sort of question keeps coming up.

The problem of "How can you pick the X most distinct colours from a TrueColour palette" is a generalised problem with a wide application. Presumably someone has studied this already and worked out a solution?
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

As a color-blind person, let me plead that some non-color distinction gets added to everything (ellipses and village ownership), even if that simply means that you have to mouse over to get that information.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Doesn't the hover text in the top left tell you what team the village is owned by? I forget...

The ellipses are more difficult - i agree that a tooltip saying what team they're on would be good. IN fact, why not just add the information to the unit description in the right panel when you click on the unit.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

thespaceinvader wrote:Doesn't the hover text in the top left tell you what team the village is owned by? I forget...

The ellipses are more difficult - i agree that a tooltip saying what team they're on would be good. IN fact, why not just add the information to the unit description in the right panel when you click on the unit.
A while back someone (Eleazar?) was working on ellipses with the team number on them for colour-blind players.

I'm not sure what happened to them though.

It would be preferable if colour-blind people didn't have to mouse over every single unit to know what team it's on. I know I wouldn't be able to remember the results.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Mm, also a valid point. Ellipses or some other form of unit decoration with team number would be very useful, I'd probably keep it turned on anyway, as i find it tough sometimes to remember which order the teams i'm facing move in, and that can be a useful factor sometimes when facing multiple enemies in deciding which units to attack.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I thought the best possible option was probably this one:

Though you'd have to be able to turn it on and off. If an option is undesirable, then maybe by just dropping the appropriate graphics into your /images/misc folder or by running a little patch.
IB

Post by IB »

How much work would that be?
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Personally, i don't think that the red and orange used in Wesnoth are close enough to be confused for each other. But i am surprised that there is no yellow team. And i think it's annoying that purple shows up as magenta (or rather, pink) on the minimap.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Let me add that it wouldn't be totally needed to have a definite secondary way to tell team sides without mousing over. Unless you have severe color blindness (which is very rare, while regular color-blindness is only semi-rare), you can usually see colors pretty well. It's not like we see in black and white. Just having the info available if you mouse-over for when I'm not sure would help beyond want for anything else.
CIB
Code Contributor

Post by CIB »

wesnoth/data/core/team-colors.cfg

Very much looks like you can do the colour-modifying yourself and don't need to bug developers with it. (maybe I am wrong though and modifying that file won't do anything, haven't tried)
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

but, if they 'bug' the developers into making something that IS USEFUL and isn't detrimental to other's gameplay, I think it's not so much bugging as suggesting things that will better the game.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Erk
Art Contributor

Post by Erk »

I'd be strongly in favour of changing team Orange to team Yellow. Isn't there already also a team brown, or am I forgetting? I don't have wesnoth installed on this comp so I can't check, but I recall there being a team Red, Orange, and Brown, and I had enough troubles occasionally confusing red and orange villages; orange and brown were worse. I might be thinking of a different game though.

Having team number ellipses on units and team numbers on flags would be awesome. Another, possibly better? option would be to let users define a player name (I don't know why this is not presently definable, at least not in LAN games; I always wound up being "local player 2". Maybe I missed the option.) and have that player name under each unit.
Warning: I am not reliable.
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

The ironic thing is that there used to be a yellow team color that was changed because it was deemed too hard to distinguish from other colors.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... our+yellow
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

I liked the yellow colour. And it was better distinguishable from other colours than orange imho.