Skills

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Etherdrifter

Skills

Post by Etherdrifter »

Well this is my first idea submitted so I'm not too sure if it has been suggested before (I did check the most commonly rejected ones).

It would involve re-coding units totally as well of altering the game interface slightly but the general gist of it is to add a [skills] category in unit creation. Their parameters would be similar to attacks (animation, type, accuracy ect) but they would be have to be coded like attack extras in that they would lack the default damage parameter.
These are tile targeted abilities that are selected from the unit panel on the right by clicking on them and then clicking on a tile within range (putting default skills with a range of one will maintain balance but the extra parameter would allow modders freedom to put in ranged skills should they so wish). This was the easiest way I could think of that would allow skills to be used on friendly units. Also use of skills could in some cases reward exp (again setting this value should be a separate parameter to allow balance to be maintained). Now I am unsure if a separate skills button to switch between weapon and skill views would be necessary or if you could simply bung them below the weapons.
The idea behind this is to allow units more versatility (instead of using your white mage to haplessly strike at a foe you could use them to heal your knight a few extra hp). While this is a major change to the game I think it would open up many avenues for custom content and new tactics to the existing game while still maintaining balance should a few default skills be added in.

Below are a few simple ideas for skills (these are not part of the suggestion but tasters of what it could be used for)

Healing - Restores 4hp to target unit (Awards 1 exp) 80% accuracy
Animate Dead - Creates a walking corpse (Awards no exp) 20% accuracy
Bless - +1 damage to all attacks on the target for 1 turn (no exp reward) 80% accuracy
Haste - Grants target +2 movement for 1 turn (no exp reward) 60% accuracy

As you can see even a skill that creates units is limited by its accuracy as to its power. Other skills while useful need not be overpowered and simple to use. But on the other had for those custom content makers who wish to add complicated unit skills this extra category gives them the power to do so.

Now all I hope is this idea has been posted in the right place!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

No. Read the FPI.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

Sorry, not likely. Members of this board, especially the developers, often stick with the KISS method of doing things. No, not the band; the acronym Keep It Simple, Stupid. If it cannot be done easily and reliably, it is not worth doing to Wesnoth.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Actually, these are wonderful ideas for user-made content.

Try writing them yourself; rather than having to delve into horrible C++ or such, you can actually write these kinds of things in WML. These could make for some great twists on general gameplay.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Jetryl wrote:Actually, these are wonderful ideas for user-made content.

Try writing them yourself; rather than having to delve into horrible C++ or such, you can actually write these kinds of things in WML. These could make for some great twists on general gameplay.
Yeah, in WML you can do for example the following: right-click on healer unit, select "heal". Click on unit you want to heal. Healing happens.

Good enough for this sort of things.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

To read more about creating a custom campaign that supports this see: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Create

(Note the WML Reference link at the bottom - you'll need WML for this).
Etherdrifter

Post by Etherdrifter »

Thanks for the idea, I may have a play around, the only problem I come up with is support skills. It is nigh on impossible to give a unit support skills unless they are abilities that cannot be targeted so summoning skills or any form of targeted buff are out of the question. Debuffs are simple enough as you can simply add them to an attack as an extra effect.
I don't suppose anyone here has any idea of how to include targeted buffs or tile targeted abilities with the current system?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Etherdrifter wrote:Thanks for the idea, I may have a play around, the only problem I come up with is support skills. It is nigh on impossible to give a unit support skills unless they are abilities that cannot be targeted so summoning skills or any form of targeted buff are out of the question.
Assuming you only want this to work on adjacent units, you could do it as a custom menu option available to the target that only appears when it is next to an appropriately skilled unit (I think).

But this has really wandered beyond the scope of this forum. The WML Workshop forum is a better place for these sorts of queries.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

TL's Heroes' Arena has a bunch of skills like you suggested.
Etherdrifter

Post by Etherdrifter »

Thanks all of you for your advice. Seems like I suggested something that is already there, then again live and learn eh?