Give Nightstalk back to the Shadow

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Roel

Post by Roel »

phase1: player1 player2 player3 player1
phase2: player2 player3 player1 player2
phase3: player3 player1 player2 player3
etc
miyo

Post by miyo »

Darth Fool wrote:unless, of course, there were three players...
Or nine.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I actually thought of this idea when making my original post, but don't like it for a few reasons:

(1) it's inconsistent depending on the number of players;
(2) it's likely to confuse the player.

@Jetryl: originally Wesnoth had day/night cycles of only 4 turns. Miyo came along with the idea of increasing it to 6 turns. Something which I have gradually come to accept as being a good idea.

I don't think it should be increased any more. Among other things, the longer the day/night cycle is, the more difficult it is for the AI to use it effectively (although the grouping AI can use day/night cycles much more effectively than previous AIs could).

An individual scenario designer is free though, to try a different day/night cycle, since our system is flexible. E.g. dawn-morning-noon-afternoon-dusk-first watch-second watch-third watch

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I remember one of the chronicles of wesnoth (the second one) had an extended day night cycle where each phase kasted twice as many turns to allow for even longr swings between lawful and chaotic forces.

changing how many turns each player gets per phase would just be confusing for players. I don't think there is a perfect solution to the nightwalk problem.
Shundread

Post by Shundread »

You could make it so a shadow only shows up again AFTER they've moved on dawn. (resting would count as moving)

Well, it's still not very bright... they could still be hard to spot.
So, player 1 has the advantage on first watch, last player has advantage on dawn.

-Shundread
Shundread

Post by Shundread »

Rephrasing (and improving), they only show up after a player's turn at dawn.

-Shundread
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Shundread wrote:You could make it so a shadow only shows up again AFTER they've moved on dawn. (resting would count as moving)
don't phrase this specifically in terms of dawn; a scenario could have a strange cycle. But this would be a good solution IMO...