Orc Improvements

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

I think that idea of a whipping leader could work...maybe the units getting leadership may lose 1 HP too? That should work out fine...

Orcs are my favorite as I said, but they have way too few options (i.e: look at elf fighters and human spearmen...). :idea:
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

Orcs are strong, cheap, brainless and simple. Don't compare them to elves and don't try to make them elves. I think they fit perfectly, they have their own taste and many choices would just spoil it.
And leadership is better for units with low number of attacks and high dmg, which is definition of grunt. Sure, for lvl3 unit doesn't really matter in standart MP game, for lvl2 unit deadly ...

I also believe that dwarvish berseker is one more berseker than we need, so I'm naturally against second one (well, that's just me). May some shaman with weak magic attack could be nice, but I guess it's not going to happen.
Use assassin against units with high defense, they are pain generally (I really liked proposal to decrease defense of all units by 10%, but that's OT).
If it's all a dream, now wake me up. If it's all real, just kill me.
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

What about a level 3 warrior like orcish chopper?
Orcish chopper
56 hp
100 ex
6 moves
Inspires
Sword 10-6
If i could i would turn into a world ruler!
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Tom of wesnoth wrote:What about a level 3 warrior like orcish chopper?
Orcish chopper
56 hp
100 ex
6 moves
Inspires
Sword 10-6
Continue dreaming with a unbalanced unit, it won't go in mainline, at least never as you wrote there.

10-6 means a too highly skilled warrior (that attacks even faster than our friend the deathblade) on top of that its an unit that have a chance for 60 whooping damage (higher than the highest damage unit in the entire game) not counting that during night it deals even more damage.

that cannot be seriously balanced, compared how easier is to lvl up a grunt compared to how much it takes to get a really high level Knight or an arch mage/ancient lich xp wise. (and those are lvl 4 units)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

+ the chopper would add flying movetype to northerners, completely changing terrain balance.
Tom of wesnoth

Post by Tom of wesnoth »

Oh i meant a advance to warlord and does 10-4 damage
If i could i would turn into a world ruler!
YbeRn00b

Post by YbeRn00b »

I would like to see a bit more unique choices for other factions than loyalist/elf.

As a start, give the goblin rouser a "rally" ability instead of leadership?
Rally give fearless to surrounding units.
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... ight=rally
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Vendanna wrote: (higher than the highest damage unit in the entire game)
Not true, yeties, great mages, lancers while attacking, and several other units do more than 60 damage. I do agree that that unit is unbalanced though.

I don't realy think that the orcs need "Improving", they play prety effectivly. I also don't think that giving them a unit with leadership is thematic/a good idea.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

I'd like to paraphrase another developer's answer for all of you who didn't seem to be able to read it the first time
Noyga wrote:In short : No.
Pretty simple.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

What Noy said. This thread is about "improving" the orcs in mainline. The Devs have said they don't need improving.

As such: Case closed.

Locked.