Where is the Dragoon power?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Fair enough. I've not fought drakes or Dragons on the dev version, only on the stable thus far.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

Isn't the Lancer quite a dragon-killer? Or maybe the Halberdier?
locutus

Post by locutus »

I think it would'nt serve a purpose.
as I see it:
A dragon slaying unit, to be balanced would essentially have to be either
1. a cheap anti-dragon unit that is cheap but low HP and useless for anything else

or

2 An expensive multi-purpous unit good for everything but impossibl to attain(by summoning or advancing)
I can create tooo!!!

http://wikishen.co.cc/
unsung

Post by unsung »

Maybe you didn't notice, but this game and its units have nothing to do with final fantasy.
oh, and all fantasy games/rpgs are liars. Whatever they say a unit is, they either made up the name, or are wrong. So you don't want to go around claiming that units are/aren't something based on such games.
:x
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

I didnt talk about a final fantasy DRAGOON, because i didnt know that final fantasy had one. But now i know that it has one :) .

Dragoons usually seems to be using a golden color armor. it use spears too (more spear than swords, its true).

Dragoon is not a comon unit and it is little rare, because its a powerfull warrior with a good ability that stands over the knights because it can fight with easier agaisnt MONSTERS and DRAGONS. I think that the lv 3 is more interesting for it.

I think that a walking unit with arcane damage will be very very very nice :) mainly if it is on the group of the loyalists. But a chaotic unit or a DRAGON SLAYER with arcane damage sounds a little strange, dont you think?

Other thing:
Is there a way of recognise the type of the unit that it is fighting?

Like:
if a dragon or a monster
the unit dragoon deals more X damage.
if not =
normal attack.

OBS: Drakes, lizards and dragons are dragons type.
Take a look in the things that i did: 6p - Secret Valley , MAP for SX
Erk
Art Contributor

Post by Erk »

BuBu, a dragoon is not a monster fighter... it is a real life kind of soldier that travelled on horseback but fought on foot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragoon

Admittedly, Wesnoth's dragoons are not particularly dragoonlike, but I am not sure what you are talking about with a "dragoon monster hunter power". It doesn't make any sense!

As for a Monster Slayer unit, I don't think there is a lot of need... how often do monsters and dragons come up in Wesnoth? I know I wouldn't bother levelling this kind of unit.
Warning: I am not reliable.
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

Well, when i say anything about the real life and compare it with wesnoth many say to me that wesnoth isnt based in real life. If i dont understand the things in a wrong way wesnoth is based in kind of "fable", so the dragoon unit that i am say isnt real because in real life didnt exist any DRAGON. So my DRAGOON isnt real, it is from a "fable". In fables exist many of these DRAGOONS like in Final fantasy like one member told, in Tatic of Ogres (Ogre Battle) and etc.

If the problem is the name DRAGOON (i like this one, because i think that fits better), can use other name, no problems. Some suggestions.

- HUNTER
- DRAGON SLAYER
- MONSTER SLAYER
- Or anything that you think that is better.

I only notice that in the game there few units like a HUNTER.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The main problem people have been focusing on is your choice of the word 'dragoon'. You may thing it makes sense because it is just one letter away from the word 'dragon', but its actual definition is completely different from what you want. There's already a dragoon unit in Wesnoth; it's not exactly what is normally meant by dragoon either, but it's much closer than what you're proposing.

Now, there are real problems with your proposal even discounting the naming factor, but I'm not going to go into it this post.

BTW, "fable" isn't the right word for what you're talking about (it means something more like "a short story with a moral intent"). You want "fantasy".
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

The thing is, Dragoon isn't a made up name. It's a name that Final Fantasy and a few other places stole. A Dragoon is (from real life words) a soldier on a horse who sometimes gets off his horse to fight. Our Dragoon doesn't get off his horse, but he does ride a horse, and he does have a sword and a ranged weapon, like olden days dragoons.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Kestenvarn wrote:Wesnoth is not Final Fantasy!
Yeah, what Bubu thought, was that Final Fantasy (or some other game) was the origin of the term "dragoon". This is possibly because these games make up a lot of similar concepts with slight changes to names of existing creatures/titles, and wesnoth already borrows a number of things from other games.

But actually, dragoons were something borrowed from the real world. Dragoons are defined as "cavalry wielding heavy muskets (generally the kind that look like a blunderbuss)." They were called dragoons, because their weapons would make really loud booms, and would have huge muzzle-flares with lots of smoke. The kind of ruckus they would cause seemed similar to tales of "plundering dragons," and so some of the troops started calling themselves a name similar to dragon. The practice of military units or sports teams naming themselves after an animal is very common - it's the same thing that made troops put animals on their heraldry, or made earlier men build totems.

The dragoon in wesnoth was originally equipped with a firearm, which made it almost an exact instance of the historical unit, but we changed it to a crossbow instead, because we wanted to move the military timeline a good bit earlier.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

More generally, <something>-bane abilities are a huge pain to balance. Say we add a unit to the Rebels faction that does double-damage to Orcs. Now how do you figure out what the cost of the unit should be?

The unit's incredibly valuable if you're fighting the Northerner faction, and not otherwise.

Hmm, to answer my own question: presumably it's possible to make the unit cost change in that case?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

irrevenant wrote:Hmm, to answer my own question: presumably it's possible to make the unit cost change in that case?
That'd be nice, but the answer is no, it's not.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

It's possible to implement something equivalent, though, given enough shenanigans. (You'd use two unit types and put prestart events in the era.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

There are some medieval tales that show a kind of knight that fights against dragons. I don't know the name of this kind of knigth. Is there someone that know the title of this unit, it is similar to the dragoon.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

No there was not special "kind" of knight who slew dragons it was just knights who slew dragons they did not have to be a special kind of knight.

Knights in wesnoth do a good job of killing drakes as it is.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."