Orcish Assasin...No backstab?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

*knows a little about the hashishin (so many spellings...cursed phonetic translations from different alphabets...)* I'm intending to use something related to them in the faction i hope to build eventually.

Murderer's good. Again, very direct, to the point...Orcish, really. manslayer...The level 2's already called Slayer. Making the level 1 have a better name than that... Plus MANslayer's a bit specific in a world with orcs, elves, dwarves, woses, saurians...need i go on?

Liquidator and Bravo. Again, Liquidator's too specific. Think like an orc - the assassin kills people, he doesn't turn them into liquid... Bravo. It (and i'll take your word for it on this one) might mean trained assassin, but i think that usage is FAR too uncommon for the average player to be aware of it. 'Why's this unit named after a cheer?'...

Geurilla speaks even more of concealment to me that Assassin - the word, to me, means fighting from the shadows, hit and run tactics, never found. I'd expect a guerilla to get Ambush. It almost fits the role of the assassin, but not quite IMHO.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Guerrilla -> 70% defense.

Only super-elite skills and strange magics can ever make a unit invisible to the nigh-omniscient generals.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Syn_Err's Exalted Compendium Of Names That Dont Fit Orcish Assassin
  • Assassin - humans have already got an assassin who is lvl 3, so it doesnt make sense that orc with the same title is a mere lvl 1. also, unique name would be better.
  • Bravo - resembles too much the cheer
  • Guerilla - has too much connotations to 20. century latin-america
  • Murderer - implys finishing off a unit, which is the opposite of their purpose
  • Liquidator - i have never heard of liquidating persons, you liquidate other stuff like groups and poverty and democracy etc
  • Manslayer - as said, resembles Slayer and also they can slay non-men.
i'd say if it looks like a ninja and tastes like a ninja, lets name it a ninja.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Honestly, I put those names out there because that's what I got when I looked up assassin in the thesaurus. They don't sound right to me either.

Seems to me, there SHOULD be more than that. There was also assassinator which sounded like a bad Schwarzenegger movie. this was another synonym for assassin.

Ninja has been used far too much and would compromise a far eastern campaign if one ever gets finished, but it does sound pretty good for this. Another type of assassin, the Amida Tong, just wouldn't sound right. "Orcish Amida"...doesn't roll off the tongue does it?

Looked up guerrilla in the thesaurus as well. Only one that has even a remote possibility is Insurgent.

My vote is for either guerrilla or ninja.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

What's wrong with Poisoner, or did noone notice that...?
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

thespaceinvader wrote:What's wrong with Poisoner, or did noone notice that...?
although descriptive, it sounds dull. like, renaming light mage into healer.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I've come to think that Orkish Assassin actually has a weapon special on its melee attack. Notice how it has a dagger but does 10-1 damage. I think thats because it trades attacks for double damage, since it targets its strikes instead of striking normally numerous times.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

How about Defiler (thesaurus.com ftw...). I don't think it's as good personally, but it's a bit more punchy than poisoner.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

"Orcish Assassin" has its flaws, but a better option seems very elusive.
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

i'd say if it looks like a ninja and tastes like a ninja, lets name it a ninja.
You watched too much naruto. Don't get fooled by ninjas, people use that name for anyone who is sneaky and fast, regardless of whether they are actually japanese or not.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It seems to me that, if any change is necessary (which I'm not convinced of), we should just do what we did for the Necromancer -> Dark Sorcerer tree a while ago - swap the levels of the names. So make the tree go Slayer -> Assassin rather than Assassin -> Slayer. I've always thought Slayer sounded more level 1-ish anyways. ;) And Slayer and Assassin are both better names than anything suggested here so far (except perhaps 'Murderer' - but murder doesn't make sense in this context, IMO).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

cool evil wrote:You watched too much naruto. Don't get fooled by ninjas, people use that name for anyone who is sneaky and fast, regardless of whether they are actually japanese or not.
i have never seen a single naruto episode, ownt :P
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

turin wrote:It seems to me that, if any change is necessary
Nah, it's not necessary. "Assassin" is a slightly hinky name for what the unit does, so if someone can come up with a better one that's great. But if they can't, no great loss...

I reckon "Orcish Manhunter" has a decent ring to it and may be an improvement. Orcish Manhunter -> Orcish Manslayer.

P.S. It kind of depends which perspective you name the unit from too. From the Orcish perspective "Orcish Coward" makes a certain amount of sense...
Last edited by irrevenant on September 16th, 2007, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

So they don't hunt Elves then? =P
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Well, manhunter had a nice ring, but in a world with dwarves, elves etc... it makes a poor choice of a word (after all our lenguage doesn't cover non human races in existence who we could talk)

"Bounty hunter" would be more general that manhunter, but it also doesn't depicts the unit too well, and people would think its someone using bows.

An Orcish Spy for a level one would be maybe better, in that it works alone to avoid detection, and its work like a scout make them rather elusive in order to survive to their encampment.

Don't know if harrier is a working word tought, but it also has a nice ring, but maybe not for this unit.

Orcish Nightkiller? Nightcrawler? Lightbane?

and my favourite, Annoying Orc
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."