Orcish Assasin...No backstab?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

orkish stalker ftw.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

For The Win?

Did anybody here ever say we would ever rename the Assassin? This is why "brainstorming threads" like these are often a bad idea producing misleading expectations. Its fine as it is and we're not changing it.

EDIT: I didn't see Irrevenants post, but he's not a developer and we weren't looking for a name change.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Noy wrote:Did anybody here ever say we would ever rename the Assassin? This is why "brainstorming threads" like these are often a bad idea producing misleading expectations. Its fine as it is and we're not changing it.
EDIT: I didn't see Irrevenant's post, but he's not a developer and we weren't looking for a name change.
Everyone's clear that the Devs are under no obligation to accept any idea, period.

That said: You've decided in advance that you wouldn't change it if someone came up with a better, more suitable name? Why on earth not? :?

BTW, I'm sure by "ftw" SynErr meant "this is my favourite" not "this one will be accepted".
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

irrevenant wrote:That said: You've decided in advance that you wouldn't change it if someone came up with a better, more suitable name? Why on earth not? :?
Because the proposition that its a better, more suitable name is highly debatable. We've designed the unit to be an assassin type character, so the name fits. I'm not going to wade into each of these discussions when they come up, but it was really doubtful we were ever going to change it. Honestly, opening it up for debate was probably not the best of ideas.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Noy's comments may sound harsh, but personally, if it were my idea I'd rather find out on page 4 of my thread that the developer's aren't really planning on, for example, renaming the Orcish Assassin even if you come up with a fairly cool-sounding name, than to expend further time and energy with no explanation why it was ignored.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I never thought it was going to change, personally. It was really just an interesting discussion. And it raised a few interesting names which others might find useful in other circumstances, for usermade factions etc.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
MDG

Post by MDG »

Well, after Noy and Sapient's posts I hope it is safe to assume the topic may be doomed. So, to breathe life back into it, anyone think the Orc Assassin should get the ambush ability to help in those interminable situations when the AI puts them in swamp or water? (Apparently I was confused about where the ambush ability kicks in...) Didn't the unit used to have the ambush ability anyway? :wink:
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

So, to breathe life back into it, anyone think the Orc Assassin should get the ambush ability to help in those interminable situations when the AI puts them in swamp or water? (Apparently I was confused about where the ambush ability kicks in...) Didn't the unit used to have the ambush ability anyway?
That a whole different thing. Start another thread for this purpose.