Intelligent fog

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
YbeRn00b

Intelligent fog

Post by YbeRn00b »

Fog of war should not regrow before you click end turn. This way you don't need to put markers on units you move away from to be sure to aviod them with other units.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Agreed. After all, it's not as if enemy units move around on your turn when you can't see them
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Please no.

I use scouts to figure out what to do with my moves. It would delay the info reaching me till I can't do anything about it. I mean how am I supposed to assemble for an attack if I can't see where my enemies are once they've retreated until I have finshed deploying and can't do anything about it.

EP why are you commenting on this, you play no-fog.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Velensk wrote:I use scouts to figure out what to do with my moves. It would delay the info reaching me till I can't do anything about it. I mean how am I supposed to assemble for an attack if I can't see where my enemies are once they've retreated until I have finshed deploying and can't do anything about it.
Sorry, I can't really understand what you mean, could you elaborate a bit?

I think this is a very good idea, at least if you could also conveniently tell where the "real" sight range of your units goes (since otherwise it might be hard to tell how far you'll see at the start of your next turn).
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Velensk wrote:I use scouts to figure out what to do with my moves. It would delay the info reaching me till I can't do anything about it. I mean how am I supposed to assemble for an attack if I can't see where my enemies are once they've retreated until I have finshed deploying and can't do anything about it.
You have completely misinterpreted what YbeRn00b is proposing.

He's not suggesting any delay to when fog is cleared away and terrain is revealed. He's suggesting that if you move a unit away from an area, such that you no longer could normally see that area, the game not immediately conceal any units there (since you _know_ that they're there.)
Velensk wrote:EP why are you commenting on this, you play no-fog.
I play without fog because the game interface's handling of fog is awful. Any suggestion that can improve the interface, such as this one, is of interest to me.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Sorry my mistake. Now that I understand, I like the idea.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Urs
Art Contributor

:)

Post by Urs »

:) I'm also in favor of this idea. It's been bugging me for some time, but I always thought it was one of those things that just 'is'.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Well, I myself do not really need something like this, but I also wouldn't mind it. Because, yeah, it makes no sense for units to have such short memory... :roll: All in all, I like the idea.
playtom

Post by playtom »

this makes a good tracking system, saves your times and effort to memorize all the enemys :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
evolved around the confined environment, emotions, knowledge and events mixed into my life, mere mortal am i, trying to climb higher up the ladder, time passes, just then i realized, death will part me eventually. - playtom's philosophy
bert1

Re: :)

Post by bert1 »

Urs wrote::) I'm also in favor of this idea. It's been bugging me for some time, but I always thought it was one of those things that just 'is'.
ditto
Good is simply that which is willed. - Eugene Halliday
appleide

Post by appleide »

In favor.
Infinisearch

Post by Infinisearch »

In favor. A reminder: AI implications for fog aware AI, no longer necessary to create a list of units temporarily visible for each space the AI moves a unit.
tsr

Post by tsr »

How about 'delay shroud updates' in the actions menu?

Does what you want to except for newly recruited units.

Sure it doesn't allow your visible zone to be larger than it could be at any given moment as your suggestion does, but I think that is fine.

/tsr
Raemon

Post by Raemon »

In favour, as long as you can easily tell what is 'real' sight and what is memorised and will disappear.
I'm a newbie. Don't listen to what I say.
YbeRn00b

Post by YbeRn00b »

Raemon wrote:In favour, as long as you can easily tell what is 'real' sight and what is memorised and will disappear.
I don't see any real reason why there has to ba a diffrence, please explain.

"Delay fog updates" should stay the way it is, while the default fog shows everything as described in my first post. Delay fog is about being able to undo movement, while normal fog is about scouting.