Support for multiple leaders?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

I think the proposed idea is superior to switching between multiple sides (e.g. Northern Rebirth, SotBE) because
a) resources are pooled
b) movement order is flexible
c) leadership, healing etc. all work the normal way

Each leader possibly being able to recruit different units is also a nice twist.

The 'problems' about limiting the number of leaders seem minor to me. Handling this is up to the campaign designers. I guess in most cases the leaders would be some of the main characters in the story.

So all in all, I think this is a really good proposal which adds flexibility, simplifies gameplay in some campaigns and does not introduce any unKISS things.

The main problem probably is to do the coding... Also the AI might become confused when fighting a multi-leader opponent or when having multiple leaders himself (the later can of course simply be avoided if it is a problem).
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Angry Andersen wrote:The main problem probably is to do the coding... Also the AI might become confused when fighting a multi-leader opponent or when having multiple leaders himself (the later can of course simply be avoided if it is a problem).
I don't think it's too difficult for the engine to keep a list of leader units in the side so that AI operations iterate thru it when deciding which leader unit should be attacked next. And multiple leaders in the AI player's side would require some more advanced AI code. Have you ever tried to play one of those share-the-castle maps provided by Wesnoth with AIs?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Shadow Master wrote: Have you ever tried to play one of those share-the-castle maps provided by Wesnoth with AIs?
Yeah. The ones with two keeps work well enough. Let the AI put its wave out then you put yours out. After that, there's enough room for the both of you.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

joshudson wrote:
Shadow Master wrote: Have you ever tried to play one of those share-the-castle maps provided by Wesnoth with AIs?
Yeah. The ones with two keeps work well enough. Let the AI put its wave out then you put yours out. After that, there's enough room for the both of you.
That means the AI has truly improved since 1.1.2a. :shock:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.