Fantasy creatures/historic units not in Wesnoth

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

joshudson wrote:You really want to watch that fight? 20 melee strikes and 10 ranged strikes?
My guess is he reversed the values by mistake. 20-2 and 10-1. Is that the case, Velensk?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

gah, yeah I meant 2 attacks and 20 dam/ 1 attack and 10 dam.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

When I first read that post, that's what I thought you meant. But the response of 20 attacks at 2 damage threw me off.

Do you think this should be a recruitable part of the Undead faction or just a special creature for certain things?
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Three things
-Recruitable? It is a lvl 3 unit, how would anyone recruit it.
-No I had not intended it to be for mainline I did not even intend to make such a unit.
-I don't think there is art for this unit anywhere so unless someone was realy inspired by the idea (or the stats) I doubt there will ever be such a unit.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

In general, the factions for MP have been carefully balanced (the exceptions being a few in EE and almost all in EoM) and adding recruits would be upsetting to this balance. What campaigns could really use would be some cool new unit ideas to branch off of units we already have, such as... Wose Ninjas!

On a more serious note, most new units won't be likely to be recruitable in any campaign unless they are level 0 or 1 and are something the campaign could really use for flavor and not just another unit to fill space. Things like the Mummy however, might be possible to ally with in some of the darker campaigns, or be very useful as bodyguards for your more sinister enemies.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

i think 5-2, 4-2 or even 3-3 would fit a weapen that poisens better than 10-1
a way higher chance to poisen your opponent but not that much damage
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I know I made it so that the curse was "quirky" on pourpose, it is not supposed to be a main attack.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

I meant by recruitable as to having 3 levels of mummy. Truthfully, I was playing Devil's Advocate, as I too only think the Mummy is good for special purposes and not a mainline or recruitable creature.

A guardian of a temple type setting would be one good use, or special bodyguards as you suggested are great uses for the creature. Thanks for mentioning them.

This is just a fun suggestion, but has anyone thought about having Headless horsemen for some undead cavalry?
The Shadow knows
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

If you play undead on Halloween and kill a horseman with a WC, it will become a special headless horseman like a regular WC but it also has a pumpkin attack

I apologize for my incredibly outlandish lying
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I propose the Jabberwock as a monster unit, with claws of blade and jaws of crushing damage type, and ranged fire attack from the eyes. Takes double damage if attacked with a vorpal sword.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

I just realized, Wesnoth has no slime monsters. I'm also fully supportive of the jabberwock
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Didn't know that about the headless horseman, thank you.

Yeah, I noticed there was no slimes in Wesnoth, which makes little sense since Warsong was an influence on it. Lots of slimes in that game. Closest thing we have is the Ooze.

Plant creatures are in short supply as well. Yes, I know of the Wose, but I'm speaking of Mandragoras and the like. A pumpkin stalked creature(I've seen some of these in Medieval, the PS1 action game about an undead knight) would fit ok.
The Shadow knows
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

We already have a mollusc and arachnea units, so how about some crustaceans?
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Large Lobsters, crabs and shrimp? or Lobster or crab men?
The Shadow knows
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I'm sure he's talking about adding a giant enemy crab.