Fantasy creatures/historic units not in Wesnoth

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Sorry I've been away for a few weeks as I was moving.

For new people to this thread, post any new unit ideas you may have. Once you do, the topic is open to discussion as to it's merits and drawbacks.
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
peet

Historical Faction - Tribal

Post by peet »

If a new faction were to be added to mainline I would personally like
to see a tribal/barbarian faction. Based perhaps on African tribes.

Let's call them the Ndjari. They are chaotic (except for the chief and runner paths which are neutral). Their terrain effects would be like humans but they would be better in forest (60%/move 1) and swamp (50%/move 1). Their specialty would be poison and slow attacks. They have no heavy cavalry or armored units; none of them gets any resistances other than the 20% arcane that humans get. They also don't get any good ranged units aside from the blowgunner who poisons but doesn't do a lot of damage right off. Instead of cavalry they have runners who are on foot but move fast and are elusive, much like footpads or thieves.

Their warrior is a powerful lvl 1 unit - expensive but worth it. It branches into three level paths: the chieftain path (leaders), the headhunter path (at lvl 3 they get necroheal from drinking the blood of their enemies), and the lion hunter path, who channels his great fury into a charge attack.

Since BBcode isn't good for charting I put the stats for this faction in an image.

Peet
Attachments
ndjari.PNG
ndjari.PNG (115.18 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

gameplay-wise quite uninteresting faction, really. nothing radically different from what has been seen already.
peet

Post by peet »

Syntax_Error wrote:gameplay-wise quite uninteresting faction, really. nothing radically different from what has been seen already.
Well, I'm sorry you feel that way, but I know I would like to play these guys. I do appreciate criticism if it is constructive, but you didn't really give any details.

I haven't used any of the Extended Era, Era of Myths, or Imperial Era stuff, so I'm not too familiar with what's there, but I designed this "faction" to have a different feel than any of the factions in mainline.

Their movement will remind some players of elves, but their lack of missile attacks will make them play totally differently. Likewise, some of the units are reminiscent of orcs but the Ndjari will be expensive to play, whereas the orcs' strategy is to spam cheap units. Also the orcs have no healers/magicians, but they do have excellent archery units and units that regenerate.

The main problem I see is that the Ndjari have no good level 1 units for fighting undead. This faction probably needs one or two more units to round it out.

Peet
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

This thread is a huge schmozzle. It seems to be "every unit or faction idea anyone ever had".

If you have an idea for a faction and you want people's input on whether it's a good idea, please post it in it's own thread. (This includes you, Peet, if you want to repost).

If you have an idea for an isolated unit and you want people's input on whether it's a good idea, please post it in it's own thread. If you want people to comment on how balanced it is, you need to advise the context though, so people know what to balance it against.

If you want to go about creating a faction or era, please start a new thread about it in the Factions & Eras forum.

Locked.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Just in case, considering Edward has a visual disable (right phrase?), that's not a problem for writing down unit stats and posting them as code that works. You can always use existing images as placeholders, someone who likes the unit concepts will come and offer graphic contributions if it's good enough.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.