Fantasy creatures/historic units not in Wesnoth

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Edward V Riley wrote:Centaurs at least would fit in good with the elves at least, right?
Centaurs and Elves? :shock:

Elves in Wesnoth tend to be farsighted, benevolent, and civilized. Centaurs tend to be nasty, lustful, and wild.

so... :o
The nature of any fantasy creature is relevant to the book or game that they are curently being implimented them. I have seen multiple sources where centaurs are calm creatures.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

It would be nifty to see a 'barbarian' race that isn't evil like the orcs. Centaurs (perhaps allied with fauns?) could fit that bill nicely.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

irrevenant wrote:It would be nifty to see a 'barbarian' race that isn't evil like the orcs.
Orcs aren't evil though. There are plenty of evil orcs, but there are also plenty of evil humans.
irrevenant wrote:Centaurs (perhaps allied with fauns?)
It'd be more interesting if Centaurs were mortal enemies of Fauns. :P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

irrevenant wrote:It would be nifty to see a 'barbarian' race that isn't evil like the orcs. Centaurs (perhaps allied with fauns?) could fit that bill nicely.
No exactly barbarians, but could be a good start for a "savage" or "primitive" faction :
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16837
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
cretin

Post by cretin »

On the subject of Centaurs, i have read several books that have different versions of Centaurs. Personally I like the idea of centaurs that send out their young to take home an enemies head (or they wouldnt be allowed back). Course there are also the peaceful ones, the good benevolent ones, and the honorable and courageous ones.

And since someone mentioned manticores and persian myths were thrown out how about half-species. Well what piqued my curiosity is the idea of the ancient Egyptian gods with human bodies but animal heads. Naturally they wouldnt be gods in Wesnoth but it would be an interesting idea to see Hawk Headed warriors and stuff. (and wolves, cannot forget the wolves too).
Edward V Riley

Post by Edward V Riley »

Centaurs could be anything we want them, as there's no "fantasy police" to tell us they should be here or there.

But judging from the feedback, most seem to want them as a pseudo evil type creature. I bow to the majority. But if evil, What faction do they fit in with? Perhaps the rebellious elves?

Still, nobody has discussed minotaurs. Yes, in mythology they're rare creatures in a labyrinth, but in fantasy they're all over the place. I don't see them, from my own perspective, carrying bows so would they be strictly melee? I CAN see them carrying slings however, similar to the troll rockthrowers. I can see them having shamans but not mystics(don't squeeze the shaman.... you may boo now) .
Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows
cretin

Post by cretin »

hmm i like minotaurs. well you know you dont have to limit them to "only centaur army" or "only minotaurs army". you could have it i dunno mystical creature faction of some kind. Centaurs as cavalry mino's has heavy infantry, Medusa archers something like that.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I've always loved ancient Greek myth. It would be awesome to have a faction based on it: satyrs, centaurs, minotaurs, winged horses, cyclopses(?), etc.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

irrevenant wrote:I've always loved ancient Greek myth. It would be awesome to have a faction based on it: satyrs, centaurs, minotaurs, winged horses, cyclopses(?), etc.
Winged horses would be pegases (not sure on spelling), yes cyclopses were greek. Also for consiteration could be titans, hydra, rocs, and wyvern(?). Unique monsters could be medusa (another character that could use the "stone" special) ceberus, and others.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Elvish_Pillager

irrevenant wrote:cyclopses(?)
The player would go and steal lightning bolts from them! 8)
Velensk wrote:Winged horses would be pegases (not sure on spelling)
Pegasus was the name of an individual winged horse. I hate it when people go around pluralizing proper names! You might as well have Medusas, or why not Cerberuses? :roll:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
ael193

Post by ael193 »

yay! more greek myth stuff, also would be good for shoving random monsters into camapins, only having squids seaserpents, and yetis is kinda balh
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Pegasus was the name of an individual winged horse. I hate it when people go around pluralizing proper names! You might as well have Medusas, or why not Cerberuses? :roll:
Heh, beat me to it. D&D has a lot to answer for in that regard - it turned a lot of unique mythical monsters into races. In D&D they do have "medusas".

OTOH, there were plenty of mythical creatures that were entire races. Sirens is another one that I forgot.
Elvish_Pillager

irrevenant wrote:In D&D they do have "medusas".
I'm familiar with "medusas" (they even have them in Majesty, one of the greatest games ever) but still, sheesh!
Lorbi

Post by Lorbi »

This is polytheism! You heretics!
There is only one Medusa. Only one Pegasus. Only one God!
ok ... end of sarcasm

I really do think it may be a bit inappropriate to have multiple units of creatures that everyone ( should ) know exist only once.
There are tons of races in ancient mythologie. Start with egyptian and go north until you reach mediavel edda.
Inbetween you have more races than you all together could possible make sprites for in 10 years.

ps: some may not know edda so here is link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edda
pps: i'm still training my english skills. need more xp. excuse errors.
waw

Post by waw »

I think a 'mythic/monster' faction is a great idea.

Centaurs would be a great cavalry, I like that.

Minotaurs heavy infantry much like shock troopers.

Sirens possible magic casters.

Fauns are violent normally...

Gorgons (that is what Medusa was) could be archers like you said. Then you could Medusa be a special monster that stones them. It wasn't stated that they all turned people into stone, only Medusa did.

Giants/Titans could be neat characters as well.

Sphinx could be a possible magic caster as well.

I would be willing to work on the character stats and info if somebody could draw... (I can't!)
What would you give for your freedom?