Faction Power

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
BuBu

Faction Power

Post by BuBu »

:: FACTION POWER ::

I've played many games, because of this i have many ideias. This one is little crazy and seems to not be very easy to implement in wesnoth, but i will sugest. How I have said in other topic, wesnoth make easy to lose units.

This is for the developer that needs a motivation to put this on the game:

- If the developers wants to do something diferent and don't have good ideas, this one is a very diferent one (hee hee...).
- A way of make the loss of your beloved unit less terrible and useful (hee hee...).
- The game will get nicier and funnier.
- This will be very strategic.
- The game will be diversify and will give more options to the player.
- In case of the developer OR everyone who plays Wesnoth like this ideia. It will be a good motivation.

Faction Power is a power that is accumulated after a death of some unit in total of 20 (or maybe 15) points thats the addition of points is based in the level of the unit. When this points is accumuladed the leader of the faction would use the POWER when it want.

Suggestion of some POWERs:

This only a suggestion of power if you don't like those power, so suggest one thats fits better.

Loyalists:
:arrow: HOLY (or ARCANE) WAVE: Cures and Heal+8 ALL your units.

Rebels:
:arrow: NATURE POWER: Slows all enemies units.

Northerners:
:arrow: POISON CLOUDS: Poisons all enemies units.

Undeads:
:arrow: DARKNESS POWER: ALL yours units could use NIGHTSTALK ability and the day settings return to FIRST WATCH.

Knalgans:
:arrow: DEFESIVE POWER: ALL yours units could use STEADFAST ability and boots the moviment +2.

Drakes:

:arrow: SUN POWER: ALL yours units could use TELEPORT ability and the day settings return to MORNING.

Others:
:arrow: THUNDERSTORN: ALL yours AQUATIC units uses SUBMERGE ability in water and could walk in GRASSLAND like in water with 50% of avoid (with rain).

:arrow: GOLD POWER: in the next turn each of your villages will produce 5x more GOLD.

:arrow: FROST WAVE or HEAT WAVE: All enemies unit gets 4 (Ice or Fire Attack) points of damage.

*OBS: ALL FACTIONs POWER have the duration of 1 (ONE) turn and atfter this return to a normal game.

One important Detail: when the fation is messed with others faction, the faction power will be define by the unit leader thats belong to the faction (could you understand? I thinking that frase ins't very clear).

:!: PROBLEMS that this can do:

- Will need some animations;
- The developer will need to work more (this is very bad);
- Changes here (in the game) makes many other changes in the game (I know);
- It will need to be balaced;
- And other that i don't know yet.

This is a OPEN and FLEXIBLE suggestion and if is necessary to do some changes, there aren't problens.

I'm messing to much with wesnoth (I know thats it isn't pinball! hee hee...)? What do you think about this little crazy idea?
Take a look in the things that i did: 6p - Secret Valley , MAP for SX
TheChronoMaster

Post by TheChronoMaster »

Um, I really hate this. The factions power and uniqueness comes from their units, not some innate ability, and I hate strategy games that turn that on its head. Heck, I hate all faction-specific abilites and bonuses, since that's time that could be better spent on faction-specific units and balance instead.

And, not to sound rude, but here's my thoughts on your "points":
- If the developers wants to do something diferent and don't have good ideas, this one is a very diferent one (hee hee...).
This is just plain arrogant, and comes off very badly.
- A way of make the loss of your beloved unit less terrible and useful (hee hee...).
Let's just make the units cookie-cutter cannon fodder, and rely solely on the abilities? Do not want.
More arrogance. Also, opinions are good things. And my opinion is that this would do nothing but damage the game.
More like broken, and cause a whole new wave of unbalance and tweaking.
More isn't always better.
- In case of the developer OR everyone who plays Wesnoth like this ideia. It will be a good motivation.
More arrogance, and I can't figure out what "good motivation" means.

Agains, I apologize if I come off as rude or abrasive, this is meant as constructive criticism.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Re: Faction Power

Post by Dragonking »

BuBu wrote: - This will be very strategic.
I fail to see that.
BuBu wrote: What do you think about this little crazy idea?
It's crazy.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
TL

Post by TL »

BuBu wrote::: FACTION POWER ::

I've played many games, because of this i have many ideias.
Advance Wars! Am I right?

This might actually be an interesting custom add-on, and may not be too hard to do. For the main game itself I'd really doubt it.

[EDIT] What's all this noise about it being "not strategic"?
BuBu

Post by BuBu »

TheChronoMaster wrote:Um, I really hate this. The factions power and uniqueness comes from their units, not some innate ability, and I hate strategy games that turn that on its head. Heck, I hate all faction-specific abilites and bonuses, since that's time that could be better spent on faction-specific units and balance instead.

And, not to sound rude, but here's my thoughts on your "points":
This is just plain arrogant, and comes off very badly.
Let's just make the units cookie-cutter cannon fodder, and rely solely on the abilities? Do not want.
More arrogance. Also, opinions are good things. And my opinion is that this would do nothing but damage the game.
More like broken, and cause a whole new wave of unbalance and tweaking.
More isn't always better.
More arrogance, and I can't figure out what "good motivation" means.

Agains, I apologize if I come off as rude or abrasive, this is meant as constructive criticism.
Thanks for your criticism. But...

Oh guy! Don't take the things so serius i am only playing a little, becuase i know that has very little (almost impossible) chance of this happen. And if i was arrogant i sorry, it wasn't my intention.

About advance wars is based on it.[/quote]
Last edited by BuBu on July 14th, 2007, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take a look in the things that i did: 6p - Secret Valley , MAP for SX
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

BuBu wrote: This one is little crazy and seems to not be very easy to implement in wesnoth
Actually the problem here is not implementation. This should even be mostly doable in WML without extra hard coded engine support. The problem is that this idea is insane.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
bert1

Post by bert1 »

I think the idea sounds quite fun. It's not very wesnoth-ish, as we know it, but might be good for some UMC. Good for doing a come-back. Wesnoth is one of those games where come-backs are rare.
Good is simply that which is willed. - Eugene Halliday
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

BuBu wrote: Thanks for your criticism. But...

Oh guy! Don't take the things so serius i am only playing a little, becuase i know that has very little (almost impossible) chance of this happen. And if i was arrogant i sorry, it wasn't my intention.

About advance wars is based on it.
Comments on this post here: IF you have an idea as radical/crazy/impossible to balance as this, then don't ever try to press it for mainline. Propose it as a UM senario option, and it will get much better responce.

Comments on the suggestion: Rediculas, even if you could make it so that all the racial powers were balanced it still would not fit the game very well.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."