Ideas for the editor

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Mathijs

Ideas for the editor

Post by Mathijs »

Here are some ideas for the editor:

-adding a function that allows to save coordinates of a selection of tiles in a text file (so you can c/p them into a scenario)
- layers (as in: combining several map files into one single file)? Like that you could make a shroud layer, or have a series of maps that overlap a bit, and that bit would be a layer, so that changes made in one file are also applied in the other file. This would mean you'd have two different formats, a temporal editor format (with a header describing the layers and where they're added) and a layer/map format (used in scenarios).
- making it easier to select tiles by providing a 'select' tool (perhaps rectangular, circular, ...). Now you need to know the key combinations by heart.

mat
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ideas for the editor

Post by irrevenant »

Mathijs wrote:- making it easier to select tiles by providing a 'select' tool (perhaps rectangular, circular, ...). Now you need to know the key combinations by heart.
Freehand would be nice, too.
governor

Post by governor »

How about a right click menu branch for 'terrain lists to clipboard':
I.E. WML terrain codes for (comma separated):
- the tile
- the tile group
- the tile/terrain group with wildcards
etc.
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

Is there someone designated to the editor? Or is this a project that gets touched once every while and then is forgotten again, and picked up and then ...

?

mat
DDR

Post by DDR »

I, for one, would find it really useful if the editor could generate labels for the terrain. They would be included in the map file, so that you could set label "King Haldric Here", and then just copy the labels x, y to the code that generated Haldric. It would be easier than jotting the x, y down on paper.

Still, having the map editor stay a map editor is important, as it provides a bit of a buffer against 5-minute scenarios.
TheLost1

Post by TheLost1 »

DDR wrote:I, for one, would find it really useful if the editor could generate labels for the terrain. They would be included in the map file, so that you could set label "King Haldric Here", and then just copy the labels x, y to the code that generated Haldric. It would be easier than jotting the x, y down on paper.

Still, having the map editor stay a map editor is important, as it provides a bit of a buffer against 5-minute scenarios.
So, you want to have the map editor be less useful because some people might use the beter version to create bad work?
The dragons are all colour-coded,
Some consider this system outmoded.
This was not preordained
Gary Gygax explained,
"My box of Crayolas exploded."
ael193

Post by ael193 »

to make it posible to add stuff to the editor without having to wait for it to be added to the mainline, you could make it so the editor scans the terain folders and adds all new ones to the editor with no hard work for you!
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

ael193 wrote:to make it posible to add stuff to the editor without having to wait for it to be added to the mainline, you could make it so the editor scans the terain folders and adds all new ones to the editor with no hard work for you!
If you're talking about the WML files, I believe adding them to the correct folder would be enough? The editor loads all these files at startup, right? Else I fail to see the point in making WML files for the editor :p
If you're talking about making wml files from png's, I don't think the editor can guess what sort of terrain type he's dealing with (road? snow? desert?) based solely on a png, or what letter should use for that... Hence the use of WML files to describe this.

greetz,
mat
ael193

Post by ael193 »

i didn't know it did what i was talking about already, sorry for the confusion.
Mathijs

Post by Mathijs »

ael193 wrote:i didn't know it did what i was talking about already, sorry for the confusion.
That's okay, I'm not 100% sure either, just from what I read and heard. I havn't tried anything like this myself :D